Friday, March 27, 2009

Owls in the Night

Last night, in the middle of the night, I heard the soft hooting of a Great Horned Owl.  There are several nesting pairs nearby - I know of a pair in the tall evergreens near the barn, and I believe there is also a pair in the enormous spruce in the grove behind our house.  The owlets were probably hatched in February, although I haven't seen any yet.

We often hear them hooting in the night - they like to sit on our roof, or one of our neighbors' roofs, to hunt mice, voles or rabbits (or the stray house cat) in the open fields nearby.  We sometimes see evidence of their hunting - bits of fur - although this can also be due to the hunting activity of coyotes.

They are magnificent birds, and when you see them fly at dusk their wings make no sound at all.

4 comments:

  1. That's pretty neat. I've never seen one up close and personal, they must be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rememeber a few years ago my father and I were driving up the long driveway of the farm one night. There was an owl sitting on the top board of the fence about halfway up the driveway. He was so tall, I didn't realize how big they could be I guess. Jason and I had an owl that nested in one of the trees by our house for a few years. I loved to listen to him/her. I think owls are fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure what kind of owls I have around here. I have some 1500 acres of State Parkland behind me with plenty of woodland. Every now and then I hear owls but I haven't researched the hoots. They are truly amazing birds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love owls. When we lived in California, there was a pair of barn owls that had nested for 20 years in the place where I boarded our horses. I still l have some of their feathers. The sound of owls hooting is very comforting.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.