Friday, April 10, 2009

Noble's Nosebleed Continues

Noble's nose has continued to slowly bleed, on and off, for three days.  I have called the vet, who will come out on Tuesday and scope him to see what is going on.  It is possible that it is guttural pouch mycosis, which could be a serious problem.  The guttural pouches are unique to equines, and are large (10 ounce capacity each) sacs that are enlargements of the eustachian tubes.  Mycosis involves a fungal infection that actually penetrates an artery or arteries in the wall of the guttural pouch.  The only symptom is persistent nosebleeds on one side.  The risk is that the fungal plaques rupture, leading to severe or even fatal bleeding.  Treatment involves anti-fungal drugs and surgery to cut off the blood supply to the affected artery.  I believe Noble is too old (almost 29) for surgery.  But perhaps it will prove to be something else or even nothing at all, or if it is mycosis perhaps the anti-fungal drugs will do the trick.  He has been on AspirEase for a long time for arthritis, but I have discontinued that to reduce the chance of bleeding.  For now he seems comfortable and happy.

7 comments:

  1. oh Kate I hope it is not gutteral pouch, I had my friend Tiffany lost a mare to that. She had the surgery and went to Rood and Riddle for a check up and they said she was recovering well. When she arrived home and went to unload her she whinnied at her horse mate and then started to bleed and was gone before the vet could get there. I will pray it is something else for you and Noble. My old horse Tank sometimes bled from the nose but not alot, we never could figure out why. Have a great weekend you will be in my thoughts.

    carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that on Tuesday the news is good and it is something simple to take care of. Wishing you and Noble the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope its not a gutteral pouch infection - those can be a bear to deal with. Sending good thoughts your way for Noble.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending good wishes. Our old friends make it hard to deal with some issues. My old guy colicked to the point of being a surgical candidate. I opted out of that due to his age and, fortunately, he recovered, so I know well how you feel.

    Hopefully the drugs will do the trick. I will keep thinking positive thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Scary stuff. I am hoping for the best...something simple and inexpensive to fix. Sending good thought your way. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds like really scary stuff!! Praying for a better diagnosis tomorrow...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kate, thanks so much for the thoughtful comment. Glad you dropped by. Ladde is back to normal. I would never suspect him of having ulcers. His life is a grand one for sure - all horses should live the life he leads. :) I will talk to my boss (the vet) and see if recurrent gas colics might be contributed to ulcers and see what he says. I'd never considered that myself. I was a couple of weeks late on deworming, but have done it now.
    As for your Noble, my prayers are with you both. Hopefully, it's just a few mucosal membranes breaking due to his age or a minor allergy instead of something serious. Many things can contribute to minor nose bleeds. However, you did not mention how bad the bleeding was. I hope and will pray that it is nothing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.