Friday, May 29, 2009

Maisie Goes Outside

Maisie finally got out of prison this morning.  Since her x-rays are normal, and she's clearly much more comfortable, she was cleared by the vet to go out in the dry lot, provided she doesn't run.  I took her out, and with the exception of one brief bit of trotting, she's just been walking around.  For a horse that's been on stall rest for two days without even so much as a hand walk, that's pretty good!  I was also pleased that she felt comfortable walking right up the hard aisle, which even has some gravel, and didn't head for the grassy sides.  She is calling from time to time for the other mares - Charisma across the aisle in the other dry lot apparently doesn't count.  Here she is, calmly checking out Lily's food dish (which was empty):

As you can see, she's fully weighting her front feet, which is very good news.  I'll probably bring Lily in early this afternoon so Maisie can socialize a bit, and Lily can diet.

Maisie's a bit overweight, which may have contributed to the laminitis.  The vet politely said she was "robust", although not obese.  In addition to general body condition, there are two spots that for me may indicate that a horse's weight is over the line from well-padded into fat.  One is tail-head fat, which is also implicated in insulin resistance (which can predispose a horse to laminitis).  Here is Maisie's rump (the dirty side - she rolled!), and if you follow the slope from the highest point down towards the tail, just as you get to the horizon you'll see a slight bulge just before you get to the tail - that's tail-head fat:

Another place I look at in mares is just in front of the udder - an overweight mare will have a distinct "poochy" place just in front of the udder:

So Maisie's on a no-grass diet for now, which will help her weight and make sure the laminitis doesn't flare up again.

8 comments:

  1. So glad Maisie is feeling better. She doesn't look like she's too upset being on the dry lot. In the end I'm sure she will feel better when she's less 'robust',(I love that one)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your vet has a way with words. *lol*

    Maisie doesn't look too upset. The grass may be tasty, but as long as she has the hay and something to keep her occupied, I think she will be OK. As for the grass--out of sight, out of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've said this before but I think Maisie is a VERY pretty mare. My favorite, a bay with four whites! Glad she is feeling better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, dear - that pooch and tailhead look ever so familiar - same as my Belgian/TB ex-PMU mare. I think she gains weight just looking at the grass. :) So glad Maisie is feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah Maisie is out!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kate,
    Hectic, hectic week but I've been following your posts on Maisie and very very happy she is doing well - I have not had to deal with laminitis and hope not to, but it reminds me when Chloe (Her Highness) our lead mare came down with Pigeon Fever last August . . . to watch her struggle to move during the first days brought tears to my eyes, it was very hard to see her so painful. When she finally was in recovery mode, but still very ginger in movement, though I still winced when evaluating her it was easier to take cuz I knew there was a light at the end . . . hope your feeling the same w/Maisie.
    Also thanks for the Mark Rashid teaser . . it's a reminder for me on seeking guidance with my communication skills with my herd - perhaps more internally than externally . . . "lowering my energy" is a mantra that sticks with me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maisie looks happy and peaceful. Hooray for no more ouchy front feet.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.