Monday, June 22, 2009

All is Well

A number of our boarders helped me out by feeding yesterday and assisting with turnout this morning - a special thanks to jmk of Buckskin and Bay! I'm actually recovering pretty well - eating is easier than it was yesterday. Yesterday evening I discovered a good-sized bruise on my upper arm - I'd had my hand down picking the hoof and figure that the kick clipped my arm on the way to my chin - another reason why I was lucky, as the arm being in the way probably made the chin impact less severe. The amazing thing was I didn't even notice the other bruise until later - my body was focussed on the chin at first and only when the chin felt better could the arm be noticed.

(That's Liza, one of our kitties, in the background.)

This morning I picked Dawn's feet again - much more carefully this time! This time, I put her on cross-ties, which is what I should have done in the first place. I was a bit nervous, but she was fine. It's always a good idea to be somewhat more careful around Dawn than other horses, because she is so reactive, but I didn't want to start tip-toeing around her, which might make her worry and lead to bad things. So I needed to get back right away to doing the regular things I do with her.

All is well, and a big thanks to everyone who sent good wishes!

10 comments:

  1. Oh, my goodness!! I missed your other post about the kick and have just caught up.

    I am so, so sorry. Sending healing vibes.

    Do take care of yourself and don't overdo. Hope your head is OK much sooner than later. I am aching just thinking of you.

    Horses are ever so unpredictable. We all take chances, sometimes without even realizing it. You are wise to remind is all to think twice before we do something potentially dangerous.

    How are your poor toes? Thank heavens you have kind people to help you out. You are truly blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're feeling a bit better. The important thing is that you can eat and were still able to go to the barn. You're right about Dawn, the more normally you act around her the better she will be, tip-toeing would be a definite mistake. Your arm looks painful hope you heal fast. Cute kittie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooooh! ouch, thats how it seems to go, the big owies overshadow the lesser owies until the big ones subside for the small ones to make their appearance.

    At least no serious damage......
    I'm still lame on my foot. I walk slightly more normally today, but I'm being very protective of my foot. I have 2 horses in serious need of riding and the weather is good, I'm just afraid to hurt my foot again.

    Take it easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you find that bruises from being kicked often show up a day or two later? I haven't actually been kicked myself (YET), but when my trainer was kicked (a double barrel in the chest) last winter that's what happened.

    Anyway, I hope you keep feeling better -- and that no more bruises show up. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate;

    I just read your post from yesterday also.

    Since I preach at Melissa about safety around horses and farm equipment all the time, and since you're soon to be one of our boarders I'll add you to the list also.... :) J/K !!

    Seriously though, I'm glad to hear you're doing okay....sore but okay.... and I look forward to seeing your babies when they get here.

    In reference to your post about sending your retirees south; whether or not your horses will miss you I don't know, but I DO KNOW FOR SURE that you will miss them!! It'll be right, and they're going to LOVE their new life just like every other horse on this place !

    Glad to hear you are on the mend ! Be careful up there !!

    Jason Webb ( I don't know WHY it wouldn't let me sign in a normal manner !!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just catching up...wow! Man..that could have been bad..so good to hear you were in and out of emergency and nothing major. Makes my teeth ache just reading that last post. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yikes, adrenaline does some funny things... On the bright side, you're going to be all sorts of fun colors in a few days!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no. I'm getting caught up on reading blogs. I'm so sorry. Your chin must be painful. I know what you mean about not even noticing the secondary injuries. When I broke my arm, I was fussing over a skinned knee and didn't know that I'd broken my arm until I tried to open a gate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eek. Well, you have a story to tell, right?

    I'm glad you're feeling better, and that you're back to doing normal things with Dawn. I hope you heal quickly and smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad to hear all is well,I hope you recover quickly.
    Di

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.