Saturday, June 27, 2009

We Rode! and Some Updates

Maisie and I finally went for a short ride yesterday - our first ride in over a month! First, she had her bout with laminitis, then it got terribly hot and then I got kicked - I'm feeling much better but the bruises are spectacular. It was a beautiful day here yesterday - 80s but not as humid and a nice breeze. Maisie's back on part-day grass turnout - she'll be up to 5 hours today! No sign of soreness - in fact on our trail ride she was just as happy walking on the very hard limestone/gravel path as on the grass. I think our vet's conclusion that the laminitis was concussion related - with her too delicate hoof structure barefoot may never be an option for her - and not due to our grass. If so, that is good news! Since she hadn't been away from the barn for over a month, our goals were simple - a nice forward, but relaxed walk on the short loop around the pastures. She seemed happy to be out - no calling - and very attentive to her surroundings and to me. We did some softening work as we walked, and some backing to check our softening when we got back to the barn. Neither of us worked up a sweat, but now we can restart our conditioning work again! The arena's getting dragged this morning (thanks to the long-suffering husband!), so we'll be back in there this afternoon if the weather holds - we're supposed to get storms this afternoon.

We're starting to get ready for Lily and Norman's great adventure - their trip to Tennessee on Monday to live with Jason and Melissa of Paradigm Farms - if you haven't heard about this, check out my post Forever Horses. The truck's been in for service, the trailer tires that needed fixing have been fixed, all tires have been properly inflated - we'll check again right before they leave - and I'm collecting the things that need to go with them. The inside of the trailer has been cleaned out and rebedded with moistened pelleted bedding. We have one hay net in the trailer (small mesh so legs can't get caught) and Noble will have to lend his hay bag for a couple of days (Noble's very messy with his hay in his stall so we put it in a hay bag, which helps). Later today I'll put a dollop of grease on the ball and hitch up - we're going to do some loading practice with Lily and Norman. Lily's practiced once already, but Norman hasn't been on a trailer in years and never on this particular trailer, although he's a pro at loading so I don't expect any problems. That'll also allow me to adjust the trailer tie in his stall - he's so little that the normal horse length for the tie won't work. We're taking some things for them to leave with Melissa - their veterinary health certificates and shot records, several bales of our hay plus some of our balancer pellets to ease their transition to new food, and some Ventipulmin syrup for Melissa to keep on hand in the event Lily has a heaves attack.

Lily and Norman will get cleaned up on Sunday - Lily will definitely need a bath - we have to make an attempt to meet Melissa's standards :)! I know she loves the pulled mane look, but she'll have to cope with, and shorten up if she prefers, Norman's "I'm a cute fuzzy pony" look and Lily's attempt to imitate an Andalusian mane! Then very early Monday morning, we'll feed them their breakfast and wrap their legs for their journey - luckily the weather is supposed to be relatively cool Monday, although our trailer is well-ventilated and has an insulated ceiling so it handles heat well. Then off they go with my daughter and husband, and I'll be anxiously awaiting word of their arrival!

And in great news for me, jmk of Buckskin and Bay will be doing morning feeding and turnout two days a week for the summer, which will allow me to get a break! I've been doing this job for almost exactly 5 years without much of a break, and I'm looking forward to being able to sleep in a bit a couple of mornings a week. I'm even starting to plan a small getaway for later in the summer! jmk is very capable with the horses and very meticulous about horse care and feeding, and she knows all the horses well, so I can be sure everything will be handled well. That's why I have time to post this morning - because she's working instead of me!


10 comments:

  1. Have safe travels with Lily and Norman to Jason & Melissa's! I cannot think of a better place they could be! Luanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of good news. I was beginning to worry that something was in the air, because it seems so many bad things had been happening in Blogland. Riding and rest are always good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great news about Maisie, it's great getting back onboard after time off isn't it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're looking forward to Lily and Norman. I probably will tackle the manes at some point! :)

    That is great news about Maisie. I know if I were you I would be feeling really relieved right now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations Kate on your free time and great ride with Maisie. Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's always so nice to be able to get back on and take a quiet ride.
    Hope that the travel plans all go well and they are happy at their new home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear, a kick! That does not sound good. You must have strong bones if you are only bruised!
    I hope the journey to TN goes well. I am sending your daughter "Travel Well" vibes!
    Thank goodness that laminitis is outta there!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad to hear Maisie is doing better! And speaking of trailering, you still owe me the story about how you got past the two feet. Was that with Lily? I can't remember whether you said.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounded like a delightful ride! Glad to hear Maisie is starting to feel a lot better! I am sure both ponies will travel well. PHOTOS!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I replied to your post on Sam's blog spot! THANK YOU!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.