Due to the Mark Rashid clinic that I attended and have been blogging about (and blogging about, and blogging about . . .) I have been remiss in responding to this award. Sorry folks! After all that heavy-duty posting, here's some stuff that's more easy and fun.
Here are a couple of more things about me you may not know, some about horses and some not:
1. I've been to only one Triple Crown race - but it was the Belmont where Affirmed barely beat Alydar to clinch the Triple Crown in 1978. I was in the grandstand, and vividly remember the stretch drive, with everyone standing up and screaming.
2. When I was pregnant with my older daughter - who is now 20 - my husband and I were on a vacation and stopped in at Claiborne Farms in Kentucky with the express purpose of visiting Secretariat - in fact I believe we made a 100-mile detour to do it. Even though they weren't really doing tours, we were allowed to make our way down to his paddock, and the groom brought him out of the paddock and over to us. I actually got to stand right next to him and pet him on the shoulder - he was as pleasant and gentle as everyone said - that's right, folks, I got to actually touch Secretariat! I figure that's why my daughter is the dedicated horse person she is today!
3. My daughters were home-schooled for the most part - my older one until college (she went at 16) and the younger one until 8th grade. This has its good and bad points, which I could go on and on about.
4. I've always like German Shepherds - I had them as a child. We have a female German Shepherd named Brega - after Brego, Aragorn's horse in the Lord of the Rings movies - Brego means king or ruler in Old English, and Brega is the female form.
5. I hope some day to take a horse-trekking trip across Iceland on Icelandic horses - seeing the Icelandic mare at the Mark Rashid clinic reminded me of this - perhaps my daughters and some friends will come with me!
6. I love doing puzzles of all kinds, including jigsaws (darn those cats that are always carrying off pieces!), sudokus, nurikabes and Set puzzles - also crosswords and acrostics.
7. I like all foods from all cultures - Italian, Indian, Indonesian, Chinese, Thai, Mexican, spicy, not spicy, you name it, I'll eat it. The only thing I won't eat is raw seafood, and I'm not fond of oysters, cooked or not. My younger daughter is a vegetarian, and has been for years, and my husband has had some issues with heart disease, so we usually eat a lot of vegetables. I love all vegetables - so far I've liked every one I've ever met - but I do sometimes eat meat as well. I like to cook, as long as I can work with good, fresh ingredients that inspire me.
8. When I was in college, I once rode a horse at the front of a parade. Immediately behind us was a kazoo band. The horse was not pleased, and neither was I. We managed not to kill any spectators and I managed to keep the horse between me and the ground, but the ride left something to be desired.
That's all for now - if you feel like it, put some things about yourself that would be fun for us to know in the comments, or in your own blog post!