Sunday, September 27, 2009

Concerns About Scout and Noble and a Beautiful Day for a Trail Ride (or Walk!)

Scout's abscess burst in two places, one in the sole and one at the coronet band. He still doesn't walk well on hard surfaces, but is pretty good on grass. Jill is continuing to soak his foot. We're still a bit concerned about the swelling in his leg - it started on Friday and has continued yesterday and today. In the mornings when I go to feed, his leg is pretty fat from the foot up to the upper leg. Once he's out and moving around, the swelling mostly goes away, but there's still some even when he comes in from turnout. Jill thinks she may call the vet to come take a look if the swelling continues.

I'm a little worried about Noble - he just doesn't seem quite right to me. The things I'm noticing are extremely subtle, and someone who didn't know Noble as well as I do probably would think he is fine - and he may be. Yesterday at feeding time he was slow to come to his hay and not as vocal as usual, and spent some time standing with his butt to the door. He's usually a very "bright" horse - alert, interactive and demanding of attention. He's eating fairly normally - a little less hay than normal. I also noticed when I turned him out yesterday that he stood at the gate for a while, not eating - he usually heads off pretty quickly to graze - and he was head-bobbing, which for him is a sign of either aggravation or pain. No pawing, good gut sounds and there was poop in the stall yesterday. Today the poop was less - not as many piles as normal, and it was somewhat hard. Tonight I'm going to take his temperature and check for dehydration - he rarely drinks in the stall so it's hard to monitor his water intake - he has been using his salt block a lot, which is good. He's 29, and has been exceptionally healthy, except for one brief case of gas colic last year, but at his age I do worry, and something isn't quite right. I'm hoping for a minor tummy upset, but will keep a close eye on him and perhaps have the vet take a look at him if she comes for Scout.

Tonight when I brought him in he was slightly dehydrated (according to the skin-pinch test), although he was moving well and ate his dinner eagerly. Tomorrow if he's not quite right I'll take his temperature.

* * * * * *

It was a beautiful day for most of the day - 70s, but very windy, which helped to keep the bugs at bay. A number of us went for a trail ride - here we are setting out - that's Maisie and I on the left, Jill and Joe (of Buckskin and Bay) next, then Charisma and her share boarder and Sugar and her owner:

Maisie was in a little bit of a state - I asked her to walk behind Joe and Charisma and in front of Sugar - this made her a bit worried and the wind didn't help. After a bit, I decided to dismount and walk her in hand to help her calm down. She gradually settled a bit - we did the "hesitation game" and I also fed her a few treats to encourage her to keep her attention on me and relax. I got quite the walk out of it - over a mile, I'd guess - and I'd just been complaining that morning that I wasn't getting enough walking now that the horses are in dry lot for a couple of weeks! I got back on after a while and went back to the barn, as I had to feed and work with Dawn - the others went off on another loop. Maisie and I went briefly in the arena to do some patterns and walk/halt/back transition work off my seat - the footing was much too deep and wet to do any trot work.

After feeding time, I groomed and worked with Dawn. We were going to do some work with ropes in the parking lot, followed by some clicker work, but then it started to rain pretty hard so we moved into the barn aisle. She's out of heat now, so working in the aisle isn't a problem. We did some checking to see how she feels about ropes in preparation for ground driving - if you haven't done ground driving and want to try it, I'd strongly recommend Mark Rashid's DVD Ground Driving 101. It's very clear, and focussed on safety of horse and rider. So far, Dawn and I are working on stroking her with the coiled up rope an letting it rub her neck, sides, belly and legs. We've done one side and she's pretty good with it so far. We'll do the other side, and then work on her being able to remain calm with ropes around her legs and then to "leading" by each leg to improve her giving to pressure, and thus safety in the event of line tangles. Then we'll move on to the rope around her hindquarters and the turn away, and so on, taking as much time with each step as it takes for her to be comfortable.

Then, for fun, and to continue our progress towards being able to deal with scary objects, we did some more clicker work. We'd already used a traffic cone as a target, and this time I just grabbed the nearest object - a bottle of Show Sheen. We targeted the top, then we targeted the bottom (a completely different deal, according to Dawn). Good fun was had by all and treats by Dawn. I can see a regular program of clicker in the barn aisle in the winter months, particularly when the weather's too bad to go outside.

12 comments:

  1. I really hate it when I start noticing things like you're seeing in Noble with the older residents. Sometimes it is truly nothing but a minor blip but sometimes it is a signal of unwanted changes that are coming.

    Glad Dawn is enjoying the clicker training, it is a great tool to have at your disposal, very versatile and useful in a variety of situations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope Noble is feeling better! It all sounds like a possible minor impaction he is working through with the dryness, etc. Glad to hear he was hungry tonight!

    It looks like you had a great time on the trail today! I'm so glad you were able to enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those nagging feelings are terrible things. I hope it's nothing more than a nagging feeling with Noble.

    I've been reading up on clicker training - we use it on occasion with dogs (but we don't do treats, just lovey, or ball throw), but I hadn't thought of using it with a horse! Glad Dawn is enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh, pray Noble is well. Have you tried Soaked beet pulp to deliver moisture to the hind gut? It is something our local vet taught me with a colic last year..now I have it handy for travle times and ho9t weather and even some colder winter times when they won't drink the clod water.

    Lovely ride with cool friends. Everyone looked so good and horses perky. Wind huh...yea, our is blowing now too.and walking makes up for feeling sluggish huuh..diud some of theat today as well...when the mare could not walk the rocks.
    Neat training, that clicker stuff.
    Kac

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor little Noble!!!!! Give him hugs and kisses from me and I hope he is feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like Scout is almost better! Hopefully the leg swelling will be sorted soon. I am thinking good thoughts for Noble. He looks like such a sweet old boy. I love how you describe him - how he is normally involved and attentive. Hopefully it is just a small nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope Noble is feeling better. The old guys are always a worry when something isn't quite right.

    Ground driving is a fabulous way to train. I started both my young horses in the long lines before they were ridden. It made a tremendous difference in steering/giving to the bit, etc. All that stuff you work on under saddle was a cinch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Give Noble a kiss on the nose from me, poor guy! I just hate it when you have that nagging feeling that something isn't quite right. But it's nice to know that you're so in tune with your horses that you can sense when something might be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keep us posted about Noble! I hope it's nothing serious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I join in everyone else's comments that I hope it's nothing more than a little nagging feeling with Noble, but it's so nice to hear that you are so in touch with your animals' feelings.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hope Scout and Noble are doing better.

    Looks like a nice trail ride you went on. Great picture; beautiful group of horses.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.