Sunday, October 25, 2009

O Joyous Morn!

This morning it was fairly cloudy, although not too cold, as I turned out my horses. Then, before it was even 8 in the morning, I saw two amazing things - who knows what other wonders the day may hold? As I was walking back down to the barn, the sun broke through the clouds as it was rising behind my back. Everything in front of me was brilliantly illuminated - it was as if the trees, in their golds and reds, had become incandescent, glowing from inside.

And then I heard the chattering of a large number of birds. I looked up, and there was a huge dense flock of some sort of medium-sized bird passing from north to south. I'd guess it was a mixed flock of red-winged blackbirds, grackles, cowbirds and starlings, but I can't be sure. The birds were chattering loudly as they flew, but the most amazing thing was the flock was like a veritable river flowing from the far northern horizon continuously until the river of birds was over the horizon to the south. Think the stars in the Milky Way strewn across the sky from one side to the other, and you've got the basic idea. I must have stood there watching for at least 5 minutes - the flow of birds continued uninterrupted. It was spectacular.

Keep your eyes out today for the miracles that are all around us, and may your day include horses!

5 comments:

  1. And some people need a reason to get out of bed in the morning? It's early and your happy-cup is already full. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. "a mixed flock of red-winged blackbirds, grackles, cowbirds and starlings"...

    That sounds beautiful! I saw two flocks of birds this morning while feeding--one was a very large flock of Canadian Geese, but I don't know what the other was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some people never take the time to stop and look at the world around them. How many glorious moments are lost to the hurried pace of every day?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE moments of time like that!!! Great posting, reminds us to look for the beauty that always surrounds! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mornings like that are the best! Thanks for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.