Tuesday, October 20, 2009

One of Those Days

Today wasn't one of Maisie's and my better days. It was warm - low 50s - with only a little wind - a nice day for a relaxing trail ride. Maisie and I went on a trail ride, which should have been fun and was for part. We were trying our Dr. Cook's bitless bridle for the trail - she really seemed relaxed in it and was halting, backing and turning well. As we started to turn for home, we met a friend who was walking her dog on the trail and stopped to talk. Maisie decided this was annoying, and started to fret and paw - we backed a step or two each time and she stopped, although she was clearly impatient. As we kept on towards home, she got increasingly fretful - trying to jig and even threatening to buck when I asked her to walk. I didn't have the patience today to do some serious work on her barn-sour behavior - the correct thing, I believe, since she's not sound enough at the trot to do strenuous work - in which case I'd work her hard away from home each time she jigged or thought about bucking - is just to turn her and walk vigorously away from home, or do the "just-standing-around" exercise. I didn't have the patience today, so I just dismounted and led her, stopping and standing or backing if she started to fret. This didn't help my sore hip, which was significantly worse by the time I remounted closer to the barn. We did some more work away from and back to the barn, and that was OK, so I guess we ended on a somewhat good note. I didn't work with Dawn, just picked her feet - by that point my hip was really complaining - ah, the benefits of getting older!

13 comments:

  1. Ending on a good note is always a plus, especially when you really don't feel like putting in the time for corrections.

    Hips - knees - getting older sometimes is really frustrating.But we do what we can right? At least we're still out there trying and for the most part enjoying ourselves. I happen to think that riders are a tough lot and the older we get the tougher we have to be to deal with our aches and pains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I have those days, even if do manage to end on a good note of sorts, it never feels good. That probably made no sense!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a similar ride on Misty yesterday. The most barn sour (or rather...Marley sour) she has acted. And don't forget feet and elbows...hips, knees, feet, elbows. It all aches. But there will be good days when the body and horse are all cooperating.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Appreciate you sharing this - know that others have these moments even with horses they've had a long time is very helpful to me right now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a day like that last week with Maddy. It is so frustrating...even when you do all the little tricks to keep their minds busy and they revert back to jigging home. My new thing..when we get back to the barn...I work her hard. Lots of figure eights, cantering, and patterns. Trying to give her the idea that getting home isn't always going to be fun:-) Hope your next ride is better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The worst day I ever had with my horse was when he was recovering from a broken P3--first time out. He was jigging to high heaven, but I was scared to correct him and make him work harder because I didn't want to reinjure him. My farrier, who was handling his TX and recovery, told me--if he can jig like that, he's good to go. So, that was my last bad ride.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My Paint Fritzy is very impatient and doesn't like to stop and wait for anything. It actually makes me nervous, because of my confidence issues with her. But Brandy gets really anxious and nervous on the trails at times. I have to work it out with her, or I end up with a miserable ride.
    At least you were able to end on a good note. Hope things get better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have those days with Sam - you go home feeling a bit useless and wondering why you do this to yourself. You see your horse the next day and remember why you put yourself through this mental and physical torture - just look at their little face and vvelvet nose - how could you not want to spend time with that!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a downer that you had a bad ride with Maisie. Every day is so different. A good ride is on the horizon!

    The aches and soreness at 42 years old hit me when I get out of bed in the morning. I just went through it an hour ago and I would have stayed under the covers for two pins. Instead, I hobbled out and now am loosening up. Moving - running and walking seem to help me, but I do realize that this is it then...how it is going to be!
    Hope your today is better! Kiss Maisie's velvet nose and it will seem better, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My trainer always says to get the win, even if it's not the win you wanted. And getting older is not for sissies. My back has been just at the edge of flattening me out now since Saturday. Hope your hip feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like you definitely ended on a positive note. That's just what I intend to do with Anky as and when I'm fit enough to do so. I sympathise with the sore hip, I hope it eases soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sometimes the human logic of the situation seems to work against us just 'getting it' there will be a reason and it will shape your future work with her but right now it seems you made the very best of the situation.
    Sorry for the aches.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Melissa, it makes perfect sense, because I am the same way! When things don't go as you want them to, even ending on a good note doesn't make up for the disappointment.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.