Friday, October 2, 2009

Windy and Chilly, with a Chance of Showers and Cavorting

We had some heavy rain come through yesterday afternoon and overnight. So no horse work yesterday, although mine got groomed. This morning we have a break in the rain - it's mixed clouds and sun with lots of wind. The horses find the weather invigorating. Interestingly enough, when I turned the horses out this morning the gelding and mare who are least likely to do much running did the most - Fred is 23 and has some serious hind-end weakness, partly due to having had Lyme disease, and Misty has some arthritis issues. I'm not counting Blackjack, as he's in his 30s and can just manage a little running walk or a small canter. Fred and Misty were both prancing, snorting and trotting and cantering around, and got the others going from time to time. It was good to see them feeling like moving; perhaps the cooler weather made them feel better.

There's a real chance of more rain this afternoon, so I don't know how much horse work I'll get done. The arena is unusable as it's a swamp. I also have p.m. horse bring-in and feeding duty - the lady who does our weekday p.m. feeding is off for a bit visiting family. Perhaps Maisie and I will get in a short trail ride and Dawn and I might do some clicker work - we'll have to see how the day develops weather-wise.

Enjoy your day, and may it include horses!

4 comments:

  1. Ah, my day did include horses and I too had some cavorting. Fortunately the weather was good here today with rain still just in the forecast. My arena holds up pretty well too, but how can you waste these days when rides in the fields and woods are so beautiful!

    Hope you get some time to enjoy yourself in between chores.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yipee! Turns out I needed to allow third party cookies :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the image of senior horses frisking around.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.