Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Frosty Morning

It was a beautiful frosty morning, with another russet sunrise:

The frost made interesting patterns on the barn roof:

While the horses were eating breakfast, I wandered over to the community garden. These brussels sprouts were very striking:

There was fog on the pond:


And reflections in the water:


This bird's nest had been long abandoned, and had a dusting of frost:

The air was still, and the water tanks had reflections:



The mares (Dawn on the left, then Misty and Sugar) were enjoying their last day of grazing in the pastures - the round bales are coming this morning for the dry lots:

Dawn was curious about what I was doing, but soon went back to work:


I won't see this view back up the long aisle back to the barn for a while - we'll be in dry lot until sometime in April:

For some reason, the layers of fences were interesting to me today:




This post with the rusty gate caught my eye:

Back at home, the cats were getting into action. This is Liza, who is Bob the barn cat's sister, and looks just like him except that she has a big fuzzy tail:

Her look is so intense because just outside the door Simon was doing his crazy kitty routine:

I'm feeling a bit better - only a bit of sore throat and headache and just plain tired. So this afternoon I'll see if I can groom some horses - I won't work with them because I'm not quite up to par.

These vegetables are ready for stir fry - I actually cut them up on Monday before I started feeling sick - some red bell peppers, broccoli and a bit of carrot, and some kale that has been pre-steamed - with the addition of some chopped onion and garlic, and some soy sauce and toasted sesame oil, it'll be tasty:

Have a good day, and may it include horses!

8 comments:

  1. What great photos. My fav is the first one of the pond, it is very evoking.
    Hope you continue to get better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, you've had some great pictures lately! I love the misty pond and the water reflections! Oh, and the 'crazy kitten routine" photo is hysterical -- Simon looks like a real character!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, sorry to hear you are poorly too, hope you are back on form soon.

    The photos are fab, cold just looking at them though! How I wish we could put our boys on dry lot over winter...would love to see some photos of that set-up next time you have your camera ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all of the photos, especially the misty pond. I get to see that scene myself on many mornings and it is always so pretty to me. Your cats are just too cute for words!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely pictures. I was struck, however, by all the houses on the perimeter of your pasture. Are you "suffering" from development in the area or is it controlled to protect the farm areas? It just looks a bit too much like parts of New Jersey for my taste. *sigh*

    I love Liza's expression at Simon's antics! He looks to be quite the comedian. *G*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jean - the houses you see around the pastures are part of our own development - it was designed for the houses to be clustered with over 2/3 of the land left in big pieces of open space. But the area we live in is rife with suburban sprawl - ugly strip malls and uglier housing. That said, our forest preserve district has gained national recognition for land purchase and preservation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The photos are gorgeous! Glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.