Monday, November 16, 2009

Wild and Windy

Today we're supposed to have temperatures in the 40s, with winds in the 20mph range with gusts to 30. It's a big change from our warm weather on Saturday. Dawn is doing very well with her in-hand one-step-at-a-time softening work in the back, and is about ready for me to resume doing it mounted now that she's got the idea that she can back very slowly and softly without worry or rushing. I think it will translate well to our under saddle work. I would start working under saddle again today, but I want to set her up for success, and doing it in a high wind probably isn't a recipe for that. I want her calm and able to concentrate. I'm also not a big fan of being out in the wind myself! So today, we'll just do some grooming while ground-tied, and perhaps do a brief in-hand session. We're supposed to get some rain starting tonight, which we really need, so we'll have to see how the weather develops.

Have a good November day, and may it include horses!

8 comments:

  1. Probably a good choice , I was always told horse can't hear as well in the wind , it is certainly distracting ,better to wait for a calmer day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, nothing worse than being stuck out in the wind. Except perhaps wind and rain *lol*

    I'm a big fan of as much prep as possible on the ground and in-hand before we start asking questions under saddle. Hope you get a nice day soon so that you can get back on board, sounds like Dawn is ready for it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love the wind! I used to ride in it all the time as a kid. Probably not smart since we lived in the trees, lol! Our gusts are supposed to be 40-70, depending on where you live. Not abnormal for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Windy days are always very conducive to having some wild rides!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not fan of riding in the wind either but I must admit I have done it on previous horses as training days - if it was windy at competitions that had to deal with it. I agree though set her up for success - better for you and her!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I pick and choose which horses to ride in the wind. I don't mind it but some of them do. I think you made a wise choice. Dawn sounds like she's really coming along in her training, good luck with the weather.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear Dawn is making progress, and I love the picture of her in the title bar!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kate - I love love love your new header!!!! Dawn is so lovely! Wow! So great!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.