Saturday, December 5, 2009

Dawn Expresses Her Opinion

I have a rule when I blanket or unblanket Dawn - no biting me even if she doesn't like it. She's gotten much better about this and mostly stands with a pleasant expression on her face. But she really hates her wool cooler - I'm using it because she undressed from her fleece cooler (from the inside out under her blanket) and stepped on it and tore it up a while ago. The wool cooler is a little too small in the shoulders and chest and I expect it is uncomfortable. When I put it on yesterday, after I walked away she expressed her displeasure by biting it near her chest.

This evening when I took it off, she was very good and made no attempt to bite. I decided that I would offer her a chance to express her opinion. After the cooler was off - she was loose in her stall - I held it up to her. She pinned her ears at it and bit it - hard! Then she put her ears up and sniffed it. I told her I would get her a new one very soon. I believe she appreciated the opportunity to express her opinion!

10 comments:

  1. That is so funny! Dawn is such an expressive horse with loads of personality; I love hearing about her. What brand of fleece liner do you like? I'm looking for one for Mosco before it gets bitterly (below zero) cold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These mares we have are certainly opinionated. Guess you should start looking for her new cooler soon. Love the fact that she bit it when you held it up to her. That will show that nasty cooler who's boss!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is so opinionated!

    I don't mind my mares having opinions, but they're not allowed to bite or push me over it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, I was meant to add 'either' at the end of my last sentence and pressed submit too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At least you never have to guess what Dawn might be thinking!

    You would laugh at me but I wore my long underwear today. I am such a cold weather wimp it is ridiculous! Oh, and my insulated paddock boots arrived and I am in LOVE!. I wore those as well along with my ear band, long underwear and gloves. Jason just shook his head at me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess we know what Dawn will be getting as a Christmas present!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with Dawn. There are days I pin my ears at my work computer. But I haven't tried to bite it. Although Lord knows it deserves it.

    I need to measure my horses. We don't normally blanket here, but it's insanely cold!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If only Dawn knew how amusing we all found her expressiveness! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is the cutest mare-ist story I've heard in a long time!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.