Monday, December 14, 2009

Noble Gets a New Blanket (and Dawn Gets a Fleece)

Since Noble is thin, and always cold - both, I believe, a result of his need for thyroid medicine which should be coming shortly - I bought him a new turnout blanket today - I had a 25% off coupon at our tack store and that helped too. It's a Rambo Heavyweight Wug - I've had good luck in the past with this brand for both durability and comfort. I was surprised at how lightweight it was - my older heavy turnouts are quite bulky and weigh much more. I think Noble looks very handsome in it, and he seemed happy with it:

I had also ordered Dawn a new fleece cooler to wear on those cold nights in the barn, and it came today. So we had quite the fashion show at the barn! Dawn's older wool cooler was too small - I think it may have shrunk in the wash - and she had expressed her displeasure about it being uncomfortable, as I described in this post. I got her a Baker Dress Sheet, which is polarfleece - very soft, I wanted to take it home to wrap up in! It's very handsome, and has several nice features - two buckles on the front, a surcingle that buckles very high (I expect for the horse's comfort when it lies down so it doesn't have to lie on a buckle), and a cut-back tail and contoured rump. Dawn approved - the only good picture I got was from the rear as she moved around too much in all the others - it shows the tail design:

It's going to be very cold and windy tomorrow, and the farrier is coming - how he manages to work when it's so cold always amazes me.

13 comments:

  1. Love the wug you got for Noble...he looks very handsome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They both look great -- I love the way a new blanket looks! I recently got Panama a wickster -- can't wait to have a chance to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool new clothes! I have always looked at the Rambo's, but have never bought one. I buy Brookside medium weight turnouts for Brandy and Fritzy. I love the fit and durability of that brand. I bought a Weatherbeeta for Chance, this is the first time I have had that brand. So far I am very impressed with it. I will have to keep the Rambo in mind for the future!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOOOHHHHH I love new horsey clothes!!!! Both look awesome and I love that polar fleece design. I haven't seen that design in Australia yet so hopefully we will get it soon. I love the Rambo rigs as well but once again we only have about one small company who imports them so they are generally over the $200 mark for us! I just love em though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute blankets - I've heard good things about the Rambo wug - I think I'll buy one of those next time I need to make a blanket purchase...although Rusty only needs a medium weight as he seems to stay fairly warm.

    The fleece does look soft and cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've seen the ads on Rambo, but never seen one here. We don't have many horses blanketed, but this really getting cold these days. I think Lily would like one. I'll look for them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! I got my Noble picture :) I just love that guy. Do you think Dawn's polar fleece would make a good blanket liner?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jen - I like the fleece, and the fabric would make a good blanket liner - but I am having some trouble with the surcingle - it's tending to slide back until it's tight on her belly, and the high buckle might also make a blanket uncomfortable with the weight on top.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, that's good to know!I'm continuing my search for a good fleecy blanket liner for the big guy...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nobel looks so cute in his blanket! Oldies are cuter than babies to me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love being able to provide a nice blanket for them. I argue that some horses DO need it and feel more comfortable and burn less calories having the extra warmth. I switched Laz from his rain sheet, to his heavy blanket. We are hitting the low teens tonight. Brrrr. Your babies look comfy cozy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Noble looks great in his new blanket......he looks very content...and warm! My boy hasn't worn a winter blanket in quite a few years. He was blanketed for the first few winters after I got him- but then started growing a better haircoat- so then I left the blanket off. Now that he is getting older, I am thinking about getting him another blanket just to have on hand for when he starts needing it. His coat is still very thick, but I am concerned as he ages, he may have difficulty staying warm and maintaining a good weight. I have been eyeing the Rambo blankets for some time and I would love to have one for Grif. Unfortunately, they are a bit pricey for my budget, so I don't know if I would be able to get one or not. I guess I will keep my eye out for a sale!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I pretty much only buy Rambo, Rhino or Amigo blankets and sheets for my own horses. IMO they are the best!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.