Monday, December 28, 2009

Noble Turns the Tables

Noble's back to being his feisty self - greeting all the mares who pass his stall with a nicker - he's quite the ladies' man - and playing in turnout. Yesterday, he had the chance to turn the tables on Scout. Scout is only 6, and is very playful, and very big. He's not high in the pecking order, but he does tend to harass the others, most of whom are in their 20s. He's always looking for someone to play with. One of Scout's favorite games is "grab the tail flap" - when the horses are blanketed, he will come up behind another horse and grab the blanket tail flap and pull. We had to remove Blackjack, who is in his 30s, from the group last winter because Scout would grab his blanket and actually pull him over - Blackjack is very small and not very strong.

Yesterday, as soon as the horses went out, Noble was playing, with both Fritz and Scout. And then he went behind Scout and grabbed Scout's tail flap and held on. Scout attempted to escape, trotting off with Noble hanging on behind. Noble was pulling hard enough that Scout was having to lean into it and his blanket was straining across the chest. Scout was getting a taste of his own medicine! (Let's hope his blanket stands up to the strain!). It's good to see my old horse feeling good and back to his usual tricks!

* * * * * *

And, if you're interested in birds, we were visited by a Cooper's Hawk this afternoon.

19 comments:

  1. I'm glad Noble is feeling so much better. The eating thing sounds like he just had a cut in his mouth or something. Hopefully his thyroid medicine is now kicking in and addressing the weight loss. The Big Boys like to play grab the tail flap and just generally grap the blanket. Their blankets reflect that - I should own stock in Schneiders blanket repair tape! If only it was a permanent repair. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a feeling blanket manufacturers have added tail flaps purely for horses' entertainment. While they might actually protect the horse in a storm, most of the time they seem to end up ripped off in a game of tag.

    Love the ones put on with velcro tape. If the tape doesn't rip, you can put them back on for the next go 'round. *lol*

    How good to hear Noble is back to his feisty self. Getting revenge on Scout was a great move! Teach the kid a few lessons he might need to remember in the future. Older horses are just so clever. They know all the tricks. *G*

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful news - I can just see the flag football possibilities!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like fun!! How wonderful that Noble is feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY NOBEL! Keep on making your Momma smile! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You must be thrilled that Noble is feeling so much better in himself, great to hear when the oldies get that twinkle back in their eye ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad Noble is feeling better! What a funny old boy he is!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am seeing lots of blanket repairs or purchases in your future:-). Good to hear he is back to his old self.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad to hear tha Noble is rallying

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad to hear that Noble is feeling good!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the part about Noble nickering at all the mares - and the blanket pull - too funny! Happy days for sweet Noble!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You go Noble!!!! Keep those ladies and young'ns guessing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so happy to hear that Noble is feeling his old self again. Love that he turned the tables/blankets? on Scout. I would have loved to seen that. I get such a kick out of that sort of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The Cooper Hawk reminds me of what happened one time. I was out on my balcony when I heard a noise up above and something hit my back. I looked up, expecting to see my house crashing down or something. Nothing. I looked around and there was a hawk laying beside me. I was sitting down so he was really close. The bird was dazed after hitting the window. After a minute or so, I saw his eyes come back into focus, then I saw alarm as he realized he was sprawled next to a human. His wing brushed my shoulder as he hurriedly flew off. I looked it up in my bird book to find out it was a Cooper.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Go Noble. Everything is now balanced! Yey!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good to hear that Noble is doing much better!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just wish they could express their playful exuberance in ways other than destroying blankets. I'll be sewing again today.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yay Noble! I worry so much about my old guy.... but it's the sweetest thing when he plays! The other day he was running and bucking with my mare, and he was bucking so high his feet were over his head! He even had the spunk to wing-kick out at my as he ran past (very safe distance away. It was like a "haha, you can't get me!" sort of thing). This is an old man with pretty bad arthritis in his hind legs.... must ahve been feeling pretty good!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.