Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Welcome to December!

Well, I wimped out yesterday - the high barely touched 40 and it was plenty windy. I hate wind - my ears and sinuses object (strongly) and I just don't enjoy being out in it. I was also having some trouble thinking of what Dawn and I were going to do next. I want to do more in-hand work with her to work on our attention to one another, and my being able to very softly and gently bring her attention back to me. And now I have an idea - a more advanced maze exercise which I can set up in the arena or in the grassy area behind the barn this afternoon - that should be fun for both of us! I'd also like to just stand with her to establish the "safe place" that Tom Widdicombe talks about in his book that I reviewed yesterday - this is our "just standing around" exercise thought about in a slightly different way. And if I can just manage to get to the barn early enough this afternoon - that daylight goes fast - I'd like to get in a trail ride on Maisie. It's also supposed to get to almost 50 today - pretty good for December - and the wind's supposed to be a bit less. We'll see how it goes!

8 comments:

  1. Kate, where DID this year go??? December already... wow...

    Take care in that wind too. Know the feeling well, and it is one of the reasons I am so thankful to live in the south. We get plenty chilly, but the wind usually isn't too horrible!

    Have a good ride and "standing around" today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No kidding - I can't believe it is Dec. already either!!

    Don't blame you for skipping working out in the wind...

    Hope you have a good horse day today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can not believe it either. Sheesh! Have a nice day with your horses! I plan to see mine if it ever stops raining!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't blame you for not working in the wind, it's no fun. It does seem to be warmer than usual here too. Hope you and the girls have a great time today standing and playing around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you, its hard to work a horse in the wind , and when its cold...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, December already? Thanks for the reminder; I need to pay the mortgage. I like your maze idea. Please give us details of what you set up and how to work it. I'm looking for creative games and ground work to do this winter. I hear ya about the short daylight. It's frustrating me to no end right now. Have a great day! 50 degrees...I'd be happy with that too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe it will be Christmas in a few short weeks! We just went below freezing for the first time this weekend. Last night we had a frost and everything was really pretty this morning. Then it is supposed to be 60 today. The weather is always odd for us this time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kate, I also have problems with my ears and sinuses in the wind! So I understand your reluctance.

    I look forward to hearing about how the maze goes!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.