Friday, December 4, 2009

Winter Comes

Winter is here. We had about an inch of snow last night, and the highs today will only reach the mid-20s, with some wind. Most of the horses are in good weight and have plush coats, so only three went out with some protection - Noble is underweight at age 29 and gets cold easily, so he went out in his heavy blanket, but with the neck cover pulled back. Joe, although nice and round and very heavy coated, often gets cold and is wearing a fleece cooler under his sheet, and Dawn (our weather princess) has a wool cooler under her sheet. Blackjack (over 30) has his shed to go in, so I figured he would be more comfortable without a blanket so his heavy coat could fluff up and keep him warm. All the horses have free choice hay, and that also helps keep everyone warm. I brought out my parka and insulated boots this morning, but haven't done the long underwear yet - I'm saving that for the even colder weather to come!

10 comments:

  1. I think we're expecting your weather here tomorrow night. It is supposed to snow. Such crazy weather lately, today it was in the 50's, yesterday the 60's and tomorrow the snow. Blankets are a necessary pain in the neck for some of ours too. Keep warm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are going to have a chilly weekend, highs in the mid 40's and a low of 27 tonight and 22 tomorrow night. YUCK. Looks like it will warm back up into the 50's again next week. I ordered myself a pair of Ariat insulated paddock boots and they should arrive any day now! I've never had any insulated footwear and I am looking forward to ther arrival. As I said in my post the other day, instead of pretending winter isn't here I am going to dress for it a lot better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We got it here too 15 cm and counting , high winds and dropping temps . Stay safe and warm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I gave in to long underwear a month ago. Then I take my jacket off when cleaning the stalls. Blankets and old ponies go together....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mid 20's eh? Sounds rather balmy there. lol!

    Last night our temps barely got above zero. brrr!


    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kate, it has been ridiculously cold here (in Denver)! I think it got down to about 0 degrees last night -- it was already 3 degrees at midnight when I was heading to bed! We're getting a slight heat wave now, though -- today was a toasty 35 degrees, and Saturday should be the same!

    Panama is blanketed. He doesn't get as thick a coat as many other horses -- he gets fuzzy, but his hair is very fine and soft, not rug-like as some of the horses get, so I don't trust it to keep him warm. Especially in the single digits!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're getting two separate snow systems next week! Hopefully the white stuff won't hang around long - but I am a southerner at heart, and I love to watch it come down. Hate it the next day, but love it while it's happening.

    Any thoughts on fleece vs. wool - do you find one to be warmer or more wicking than the other?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funder - I prefer polarfleece (Dawn tore up her fleece cooler, hence the wool one) - I think it keeps them warmer when they're wet and it's easier to wash and machine dry - no shrinking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. sounds like the same conditions over here in Northern California! Snow is gonna be flying for about 7 days here, so no riding, and blankets almost 24/7. Especially for the old guy :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It snowed in HOUSTON, TX yesterday. Unbelievable.

    Cold and bitter here. Typical yuck of winter.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.