Saturday, January 30, 2010

Miranda Comes To Stay For a While

There has been much activity - my older daughter's horse, Miranda, will be coming to stay with us at the barn tonight through at least the month of February. My daughter unexpectedly had the opportunity to go for the month to work in Wellington, Florida, for a trainer who is down there. So we've moved the hay that was being stored in the stall Miranda will be using, and set it up with bedding and water. We've also set up a water tank and heater in the paddock she'll be using for turnout, at least for now. If she only stays for a month, we probably won't integrate her into the mare herd. The footing - mostly ice - isn't suitable for an introduction right now anyway.

Miranda is an 11 year old Oldenburg mare (by Walldorf) - she actually looks a lot like him, especially her head, although she's a lot smaller - only about 15.3 hands. My daughter got her for free as a rescue when she was about to be euthanized - it's a fascinating story which you can follow if you go to this post first and then to the label cloud under "Miranda". Miranda is a pretty mare, and here are some photos of her from earlier this year:



It'll be fun to have her around, although unfortunately I doubt I'll get to ride her much with the winter weather we've been having, but who knows?, maybe spring will come early!

18 comments:

  1. Yes she is a pretty mare, I hope she enjoys her visit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely girl. Amazing the caliber of horses that can end up in rescue. Hope you get to ride her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will wish you a break in the weather! She's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miranda gets to go to camp for a month!! I agree with Leah, it is amazing some of the horses that wind up in a rescue situation, there are certainly a couple of horses retired here that had very sad stories at one point in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's gorgeous. I'm sure she'll enjoy her stay with grandma too. I hope you get some rides in and the weather changes for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun month for Miranda and for you AND for your daughter!!! How great is that - training in Florida!!!! Have fun everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh what a beauty! That would be so nice if you get some rides in. Hopefully the weather will cooperate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice mare , and yay that your daughter is able to accept this cool opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's nice that you back your daughter up like that so she can take advantage of opportunities and know her horse is in safe hands! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty girl, I hope you get a little bit of a thaw so you can get to ride her. I'll bet your daughter will enjoy her time in FLA!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely mare! I've always been a sucker for redheads. I hope you get a break in the weather and a chance to ride her while she's visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. she's a beauty... enjoy the ride (physically and spiritually both!)
    gp

    ReplyDelete
  13. Did you get the cat back, too? You're a good mom. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think Miranda will enjoy her stay. The experience will be good for her too as she'll discover one more good home and good handler in her life. I liked her from the first time I saw her.

    How nice for your daughter to get to go south for a horse experience. Perfect way to spend some time this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hhhmm, maybe I'll run into your daughter -- I try to get up to Wellie-world as much as possible for WEF. It's amazing to be able to rub elbows with so many Olympic riders! Your daughter is going to have quite an amazing experience, I'm sure. :-D
    And her mare is just lovely; it really is incredible how people throw away such nice horses.

    www.dressagewannabes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. She is beautiful!!!!! Have a wonderful month with her!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A free Oldenburg!!!!! One of my favorite breeds..she is lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.