Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Not Bitterly Cold For a Change

We've gone from bitter cold to just cold - we're supposed to break 20F today and it's the first morning in a long while that the wind chills have been above zero when I went to the barn. Although it's not sunny, it's not too bad out there for a change.

My younger daughter left this morning to head back to her college life. She won't be home again until March, which seems a long time away. I miss her already, and I expect Dawn will do the same.

I got an e-mail yesterday that was cause for thought. A former work colleague who was 56 and only a few months older than I am died suddenly just after New Year's. He was healthy, but suddenly developed an infection that then became lodged in his hip (he'd had a replacement 8 years ago). He had surgery to deal with the infection and repair the replacement and then his kidneys failed. He was briefly on dialysis and then he died. He had a wife and children about the age of mine. While we were not close friends, I did work with him for a number of years and remember him as a good person. Hearing this was a reminder that none of us know how many more years, or days, we will have. It's important to do the things that are important, or meaningful to us, now, and not wait, assuming we'll have time later - we may be wrong about that. What are our priorities and how are we to go about fulfilling them? I try to remember each day to live that day fully, as a part of a life which is chosen.

14 comments:

  1. Kate -- you gave your bitter cold to us, I think, as we have another cold spell coming in tonight and tomorrow!

    I'm sorry to hear about your colleague, but you're right about living your life the way you want to live it NOW, and not putting it off. An eloquently written reminder for all of us -- thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's turned very cold here too! Sorry to hear of your colleague dying at such a young age. You're right it does bring it home that we should never take this life for granted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A Happy New Year to you, the horses and your family, Kate!
    Your New Year's items list was very good.
    I normally don't make any New Year's resolutions, but I will take inspiration from your list. Thanks!

    Here it is also very cold, and it will be even colder the following days.
    The horses don't mind though as we don't have much wind.

    I am sorry to hear about your collegue. It is a reminder for us left, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your cold Kate is my bitter cold, I've had enough already, don't know how you cope.
    Parting with your daughter after the holidays is hard but I guess March will be round in no time.
    You are right, live it like it's your last. How sad for your colleague's family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to read about your collegue.You are right though , we do need to remember to live it, in the moment

    ReplyDelete
  6. Every day is precious. So sorry for your collegue and the family he has left behind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. our weather did the same thing today, which had an odd effect on baasha.

    i'll pray for your colleague's family.

    ~lytha

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kate, so sorry to hear about your colleague; life is short and we never know when our time is over. I guess we should all live our lives like the day is our last, for it very well could be.

    I hope these long dreary days to be gone soon and spring will be on it's way; I tire of this cold, snowy weather. I long for bright sunny days and the warmth of my horses' back. But that is wishing my life away, (sigh) I just don't like the cold!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad to read that you are catching a break in the weather. We are too. Just about the same.

    You have the right idea about how we should live our lives...everyday is very precious, not to be wasted. So many people I know do so little.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's always sad to hear of someone's dying like that. But the lesson we can learn ia good one. We do need to live our lives with as much value as we can.

    It's amazing how temperatures in the 20's can actually feel warm after days of subzero and wind. It's finally quieted down over here in NJ too. Not warm by any means but the wind is virtually gone. Thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like Mary Oliver's question: What will you do with your one precious life?
    Your post about your colleague made me think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry to hear about your colleague. It's a good thought to live every day to the fullest doing what we love when that's possible.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kate whenever you hear about something like that it certainly does make you appreciate your health and happiness.

    I hope your daughter had fun with Dawn while she was home!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sorry to hear about the passing of your collegue. It does however serve as a great reminder to us all that we need to appreciate every day of life. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.