Tuesday, January 5, 2010

OT - Finance

Some of you may know that I have a background, among other things, in finance and asset management. I've had an interest for a long time in personal finance, and in particular what people know about it or don't know about it. It's a topic that's poorly taught in our schools - I've spend some time working on the design of a course designed for middle schoolers - and I'm interested in finding better ways to educate people about financial topics. I also have opinions on personal finance issues, economics and economic policy. Since this stuff certainly represents a separate set of topics from this horse-centered blog, I'm starting a new blog called Fear No Finance (because these subjects are the subject of anxiety for many people) for my posts on these topics. If you're interested, stop by for a visit, and if there are finance or economic issues you are interested in, let me know.

10 comments:

  1. I work in the financial sector and credit union actually have a financial literacy curricilum developed for school age children - there are actually several credit unions with branches actually in the school.

    If you want more information on it, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great idea, esp in this economic climate , we all need all the help we can get

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a brilliant idea, I am totally rubbish in organising my fianances. Not to mention that with the current weather we are having there is nothing to organise :(
    I am definitely going to have a look at the new blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great idea. I know just enough about finances/economy to be dangerous... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, great idea! I'll be visiting.

    I think the NJ curriculum is going to require a course in finance for high school students. Seems like a good idea to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it is a great idea! Everyone can always use a little help in that area.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Breathe - I'm a big fan of credit unions - they do good things and aren't in business to exploit anyone (unlike many of our other financial institutions). I'd love to hear more about the curriculum - shoot me an email (it's on my profile now). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish high schools did a better job teaching personal fiance! (I teach English at my local public high school, so I would certainly not be qualified to do so....LOL!) I will have to check out your new blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. OH MY! I cannot spell either! Bad English teacher! :P

    *finance

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.