Friday, February 26, 2010

Award Time

First, for the daily weather report - this morning when I went to the barn it was 15F with a wind chill of 4F - not quite face freezing weather, but close, and way below normal for this time of year. Although the wind was sharp, the sun as it rose was very bright, and the snow was glittering - very pretty, although I'll be glad when it's gone (remind me of that when I'm complaining about the mud!). We're supposed to get up into the mid 20sF today, with continued wind.

Mrs. Mom over at Oh Horsefeathers & Related Twisted "Tails" has graciously bestowed this lovely award on my blog:

The rules are, link back to the person who gave you the award, tell 7 things about yourself, and then pass the award on to 15 other bloggers (pretty soon, with math like that, unless we do a lot of duplicating, every blog in the universe will have had the award!), especially blogs that are newer to you. If you're named below, please feel free to do this to whatever extent you wish, or not - it's your choice.

So here goes - 7 things:

1. My husband and I seem to have a "cat equilibrium" - we've had as many as 5 house cats, but every time the number falls below three, a new cat somehow just shows up. Last fall, my older daughter took one of our cats to live with her in her new apartment, and voila!, within weeks, Simon shows up.

2. I read French but don't speak it very well. I can read Latin as well - in fact when we were home-schooling our daughters, I taught them Latin. That's the limit of my language skills, although I'd like to learn more languages.

3. The only food I really, really don't like is oysters, although now we almost always eat vegetarian this isn't much of an issue.

4. When I started college, I thought I wanted to be a doctor, and was a biochemistry major, but switched to history (medieval) instead.

5. When I was a child, I loved to read the encyclopedia - even if I didn't understand all the words or what they were talking about - we had one of the older versions of the Britannica - and I also loved poring over maps in atlases.

6. I'm not much of a party person - large groups sometimes make me uncomfortable. But then I'm not much of a night person either, so it works out pretty well. But I'm raring to go at 5 a.m.!

7. In my middle age, I'm taking up meditation - there's a lot about the practices that appeals to me, and makes sense.

Now, 15 beautiful blogs to check out - I had trouble picking as there are so many good ones - I've tried to mention some that maybe you don't know about - some are new to me, some have been around for a while, some are about horses and some are about other things - visit and enjoy!

1. Victoria at Teachings of the Horse - partly about horses, partly about life, and always thoughtful and often inspiring.

2. Danni at Broken Bodies 101 - her work with her boy Quadi, and their ups and downs together.

3. Aarenex at Haiku Farm - much valiant trail-riding on her horse, mixed with some farm doings and occasional story-telling and poetry.

4. Shannon at A Work In Progress . . . - dedicated, thoughtful and hard-working horseperson, for sure.

5. Merri at The Equestrian Vagabond - endurance riding and more.

6. Cheryl at Deserts and Beyond (this is the same Cheryl who does Desert Horses) - beautiful photos of her part of the world.

7. Bay State Brumby - almost always upbeat, with a Lilly mare (I have a Lily, myself, so I'm partial), and lots of fun - and she lives in about my favorite part of the US!

8. Abe at My Birds Blog - gorgeous pictures of birds.

9. Carol at Campin' Horseluvr - her journey with her off-the-track Standardbred Griffin.

10. Beebee's Chrome Chevalier TTT - the story of a young Freisian.

11. Juliette at Honeysuckle Faire - retired TB racehorses and more!

12. Billie at Camera-Obscura - horses, horsekeeping and an ability to present and discuss complex issues well - she's been a leader in the blog community in presenting the reasoning against Rollkur in the dressage world.

13. Breathe at HorseCentric - strong, persistent and always willing to learn.

14. Lori at Skoog Farm Journal. Her blog is a lovely chronicle, in words and pictures, of the joys of her daily life - it's always a pleasure to visit.

15. Jason and Melissa at Paradigm Farms. Pictures of peaceful grazing horses, as well as news of their farm life and some really good information about equine care and nutrition. But then I'm biased, as our Lily and Norman are retired there!

May spring come soon!

13 comments:

  1. Latin!! All right. I took four years in high school. The best thing about it was how it absolutely cemented the concept of grammar in my head and helped with my vocabulary.

    Never got into the encyclopedia, but I did tend to read the dictionary. How sad is that?

    I second the request for spring...please....soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kate! I think most people who read these blogs know everything about me already after all these years, but I'll try to come up with a few new quirks to confess. My daughter is talking about taking Latin next year. And I don't like oysters either. We're getting pounded with snow right now - How many days until Spring?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jean - I think reading dictionaries is cool, not sad - what does that say about me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the award ! stay warm spring is coming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A note about always writing about the weather! I do the same thing! Recently at work someone said that this winter hasn't been so bad and I thought to myself: Spoken like someone who doesn't spend any time outside!
    Kate, I am thrilled and honored by your mention of me in your blog. Really, it is quite a distinction given how much I admire your own blog.
    Keep on doing what you're doing, Girrrl, cuz I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kate,
    Thank you so much for recognizing my blog with the Beautiful Blogger award!
    I love your list - my husband and I laughed together about your cat equilibrium. We adored your post way back then when your husband brought Simon home. Something about that story was so gentle and telling about your family and the place animals have in your life!
    I, too, read the Britannica when I was growing up. And...dictionaries...and phonebooks - my favorite when traveling!
    Thank you again! I am truly honored!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for the award! And for your kind description, I'm blushing! It's really an honor. Thanks again!

    I also hate oysters, unless they are fried. I'll eat pretty much anything fried.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to read the encyclopedia and the dictionary, too. The only Latin I knew was from when the Catholic mass used to be recited in Latin. I remember a bit of German, but not French. On my bucket list is learning Spanish.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Kate! I enjoyed reading your 7 things. We are homeschoolers too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Aw, thank you Kate! I think your blog is beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Norman is your horse!! I LOVE reading about him on their blog! He is SO CUTE!!!

    www.wildponybeast.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for the award! I am so honored that you thought of my deserts blog! While I don't speak Latin, I do speak Spanish. Our daughter speaks French and our son speaks German and Russian! Their languages came in handy when both of them traveled in Europe after graduating from college! I have checked out some of the other blogs you nominated and they are great!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I finally made my post with the award.

    http://rdxhorses.blogspot.com/2010/02/blog-award.html

    Sorry it took so long. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.