Saturday, March 27, 2010

A Delightful Ride

Yesterday, our temperature just brushed 40F, and by the time I brought the horses in and fed in the afternoon, we were in the upper 30sF. But there was only a little bit of wind and the sun was still bright, and Maisie and I got in a very good ride. I was glad about that, as I didn't get to ride Thursday due to the wind and cold, and I usually don't get to ride on the weekend because of other time commitments.

We started in the arena, with some walk and trot work on light contact - she was relaxed and stretching down and moving well. Then we did more trot work, using the whole ring and doing frequent changes of direction at the rising trot. Then we moved into some sitting trot where I was asking her to use herself a bit and using my inside leg into outside rein to ask her to soften and bend. We did a lot more patterns using our cones - this time I had set them in two staggered parallel lines for some variation - Maisie stood and waited for me at one end of the ring and watched with interest as I moved cones around - I never really trained her to do this but she does it nicely when I ask. Finally, just for fun and because she was going so well, we moved nicely up into the canter, and did several large circles in each direction. Her departures were good, even though I wasn't really asking her to use herself as she isn't fit yet, and she nicely maintained the canter until I asked her to trot. Her left lead canter, which has always been a little bit harder for her, was even pretty good. For just coming off the winter, this is all excellent work.

Finally, we went on a short trail ride. She was excellent, relaxed, interested and responsive. I must say, all in all, it was a delightful ride!

18 comments:

  1. That sounds so nice. Glad you got in some a good ride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to get going in the riding department...it seems that I have had too many excuses lately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate, glad you got a good ride in. Sounds like Maisie was trying hard to please! I haven't gotten to ride since the 17th, maybe next week.
    Hope you get more rides in!!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really does sound like a wonderful time together. Looks like she's willing to give you a lot of herself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like another nice day for you , though warmer would be nicer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a lovely time was had by all (two of you). It seems to have been some positive, relaxed "work" in the late winter sun. Yea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful that you got in a good ride and relaxing trail ride. Sunshine and no wind do a lot to make a chilly day feel warmer. It's not happening here yet. In fact, my two are closed up in the barn while a blizzard blows.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice to see you riding more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's what I was hoping for today, but it wasn't in the cards. Glad you had a good ride.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds great. It's so nice to have a ride that is memorable for all it's good points.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic. It seems the more you engage her mind, the better she does.

    Let riding season begin!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super nice. Sounds like a good ride on a good horse. What more can anyone ask for?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love good rides like that!!!!! Well Done to you and Maise!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh yay! Maisie did so good for you! Lucky you getting in some riding time.

    And good for you rewarding Maisie (and you, too) with a nice trail ride afterwards.


    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh how lovely to hear that you have had a fantastic ride.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.