Thursday, March 25, 2010

Windy and Colder With Spring Shots

The temperature's supposed to drop from the mid-40sF to 30F by this afternoon, and it's already noticeably colder. And since early this morning, the wind has really picked up and is howling - we're supposed to have 20-25 mph winds with gusts in the 30s. Temperatures overnight are going to drop into the 20sF - brrr! I'm not riding today - it's just too uncomfortable for me and the horse.

This morning our vet came to give 8 horses, including mine, their first round of spring shots. The other 3 horses use two different vets. Sugar's owner came to help me collect and hold horses for the vet and turn them back out when done. Today we had our 5-way: Flu/rhino, tetanus, E/W encephalitis and also West Nile boosters. She did the two shots on opposite sides of the neck so we can check for reactions - none of our horses has ever had a reaction and the vet hasn't changed vaccine suppliers so we should be OK. Joe, Blackjack, Noble and Sugar were a little nervous - everyone else was pretty laid back but everyone was good, minus a few "giraffe necks" and wide eyes. She also drew blood for a couple of Coggins tests for horses that may go elsewhere to ride or attend clinics. I like our new vet - her manner with the horses is very calm and low-key.

They were all happy to get back out despite the wind. We'll have our rabies and intranasal strep/strangles vaccines at a later appointment. I noted all the vaccinations in our barn book, where we have a section for each horse's records.

I think (and hope) this cold snap will be short - I'd like to get riding again!


14 comments:

  1. Your weather reports are always a little cooler than mine are and I'm north of you. Regardless, it is not much better here, low 40s, but I really want to get back to those 60's. Those are some nice temps. Or just some sun even! Maybe if we both blow to the west really hard we can get these clouds to move. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're lucky you don't have any horses who react. My girls are super sensitive about that for some mysterious reason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're not doing bad in the weather department here...yet. By the weekend we are supposed to be as cold as you. I'm hoping they're wrong again but probably not since I had planned on riding this weekend. My only free time this week, so it would figure the weather would turn on me.

    Our vet should be coming out for shots soon too. It's always good to get that done. One more thing out of the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, sorry your weather is getting cold again. It was really nice yesterday, I would have liked to ride but haven't been feeling very well and Gilly always knows when I am feeling off. Today was nice in the morning but at 2 it started raining and now I am hearing some thunder! A little cooler but not cold.
    Gil and Pokey's shots aren't due until next month. They always do well, no lumps, bumps or scaredy cat reactions. They like out vet and she is gentle with them.
    Hope your weather is soon nice so you can ride. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. My vet does the E/W encephalomyelitis in the fall instead of the spring, because he said it's more likely to react with the West Nile vaccine. He says his reaction rate is much lower than the national average. Just a thought for anyone who has horses who are prone to reactions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats good info Katherine, we had a horse react to avaccine and we thought it was went nile and we dont give it to him anymore, but maybe it was the two together irritating him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had a little shot of winter yesterday, but it is imrpoving steadily today , hope it works that way for you too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We'll be doing our spring vaccinations in a few weeks, we usually do them about mid-April. Your weather report sounds cold, brrrr.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The weather here in southern Ohio has turned bad again too. LOTS of rain today and snow tomorrow.. ugh!

    I've left you an award! Come on over and get it!:
    http://supersizemycob.blogspot.com/2010/03/my-first-blog-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh not more cold :-( we have had some lovely warm weather but think we're heading back to the cooler stuff, brrr.
    Love the photos in the last post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That reminds me that I need to follow the Boyz around to get fresh samples for fecal egg counts.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yep, that's on my to do list. How much did 8 horses cost? I have four and am so dreading the vet bill. Of course, I'll need a few floats too. I am debating whether to have the vet come out and do it all or take them to the office two at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastyk Voyager - I haven't gotten the vet bill yet, so I'm not sure. Looking back, our fall flu/rhino cost about $33 per horse, including the share of the vet call, and first round of spring shots (5-way plus W Nile) cost $83 per horse and the second round of spring shots (rabies plus strep/strangles) cost about $50 per horse. Most of that cost was the cost of the vaccines. So that comes to about $176 per horse per year. Luckily, only 3 of the horses are mine!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Winter just blew in here again - sheesh! but it will be time for spring shots here soon! (i hope)
    - The Equestrian Vagabond

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.