Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Geldings Bring Themselves In

Today (keeping fingers crossed!) should be our last day of restricted grazing. We had frost overnight, and 50sF today with sun. We were out for about 7 hours today, and if every one feels well this evening, we'll be out full day tomorrow. Night time temperatures are going to moderate a bit, and we're going to have highs in the 50s and more cloudiness, so despite the rain in the forecast I think the grass will be OK. I brought the horses back into dry lot at around 2:15 this afternoon. For the past several weeks, the geldings have been in one of the pastures that feeds through a gate into their dry lot. Every day, as I bring in the mares, the geldings have been assembling, continuing to graze, near the gate between their pasture and the dry lot. When I'm done with the mares, I open the gate and herd them through - they're pretty amenable despite the lack of grass where they're going.

Today I tried something different - I left the gate between the dry lot and their pasture open. I knew they'd spend the day grazing in the pasture. As I brought the mares in, one by one the geldings walked back through to the dry lot. Noble and Joe stayed behind in the pasture for one last bite, but when I whistled to them they came right on through and I shut the gate. You'd think our geldings were a wild bunch from my post a few days ago, but they're actually a pretty sensible lot. They've learned the routine and are happy to help, which sure has made my job easier!

10 comments:

  1. I love how horses learn to do things like this. At one of my old barns, the horses would be brought into their individual stalls every day for their grain. They very quickly got to the point where they'd each go to the end of their own run and wait for the barn owner to open the gate. Routine is a powerful tool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how smart horses are about these things. And, I think, in general, unless they are in "silly mode," most of the time they really do try to cooperate. It accents their generous natures and love of security. They, like us, tend to like to know what to expect.

    Glad the boys have decided to make your day easier! Gotta love'em.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that my horses see the gree grass, they're tired of the dry lot! So, they'll be out for the day starting tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a smart bunch to take themselves in. Guess we're all creatures of habit in one way or another. They know the routine and are willing to stick to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Reminds me of a story at the clinic, of how a horse figured out how he was supposed to help sort cow pairs when the other cowboy and horse left. He knew just how to stand at the gate.

    Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it when the horses do nice things to make my life easier!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute Header Kate!
    That was awfully smart and kind of them...
    KK

    ReplyDelete
  8. What sweet helper boys you have! I love stories like that. Horses are just the best!

    ReplyDelete
  9. now if only we could teach them to muck out their own stalls and pastures life would be grand!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Don't you love when you whistle and they come!? That makes my heart grow.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.