Sunday, April 25, 2010

A Little Better, But Still a Mystery

Maisie is still lame, although somewhat better than yesterday. No sign of laminitis - she was standing equally weighting both fronts this morning and walked out willingly, although she wasn't sound by any means. She's good about her bute - I can give her the paste without even putting her halter on, even though she knows it's nasty-tasting.

I decided to give her her regular turnout with the mares - she frets being confined in the barn with no company, and also doesn't drink well inside. She seemed none the worse for wear from her bout of playing yesterday.

She's still looking sore in the left front, but then sometimes takes some bad steps that don't involve that foot. She walks better on the grass, but struggles walking through the mud. I think we may actually have more than one thing going on. She may in fact have a stone bruise in the left front, but she may also have tweaked something in her hindquarters. She's doing a lot of hind-leg resting, switching sides often, and she looks a little tight to me in the area in front of the sacro-ileac joint at the high point of the hindquarters. There's some puffiness in the area just above the fetlock joint in the left hind, and she's got a lump on her right hock that seems a bit tender.

Who knows? She may have twisted or pulled something in her back or hindquarters a couple of days ago, been kicked or done some stall-kicking or body-slamming during the thunderstorm the night before last - she tends to get pretty upset in stormy weather. I don't think turnout is going to hurt her, since there aren't signs of laminitis and there's no heat or serious swelling anywhere. We'll see how she is this afternoon at bring-in - I'll find out then if I did the right thing turning her out.

12 comments:

  1. That's too bad. We had an issue like that last year with a mare, and never really figured it out--it just went away. It's tough when you don't know what you're dealing with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blech. I think things like these are one of the worst things about horse ownership. I hope it gets resolved soon; sounds like you're doing the right thing, letting her be outside where she's happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you may be right that she teaked something in her back. Hope she mends soon

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad she at least seemed a little bit better. Hopefully a couple more days = gone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would turn her out too. Sounds like an abcess is brewing to me. Hope things improve quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So hard when you don't know, and they can't tell us. Hope Maise gets better, and soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm, have you checked out between her back legs? Just a thought because my horse tweaked inside his hind leg, behind his sheath, when his hindleg slipped out from beneath him. It was a very low-level lameness but took a wee while and some bodywork to heal.

    Hopefully more rest will have her back to best :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would have turned out too. Hopefully either the source of the problems surfaces, or she's better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If she is improving, that's a good sign. She should be fine turned out where she will be a lot happier than being separated from her friends.

    I'll keep sending good vibes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh gosh..I hope Maisie feels better soon! Always scary trying to figure things out without having verbal help from the patient.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm learning to relate to the "what if it's X..." and I definitely can feel for your situation. It all sounds pretty positive so far and it sounds to me like turnout will most likely help her. Looking forward to the "Maisie is sound" post ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Drat it all Kate...I do hate some mysteries...lameness is sometimes so hard to suss out!
    I really hope she comes up good again, soon!
    You are such a good horse mom.
    KK

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.