Monday, April 26, 2010

Who's Training Whom? and Maisie Update

The mares were taking a break from grazing, standing around in the sun with hind legs cocked - Dawn was lying down as she often does at noon to take a nap - the others were standing guard around her as she slept.

Maisie said: "Sometimes I find my two-legs front-eyes no-fur hard to work with. I want her to pay attention, and to respond when I'm soft by being soft herself, but sometimes it doesn't work - it can be frustrating to work with her. I want her to give with her hands, softly, when I soften with my face and neck. It's hard when she doesn't pay attention - I try to get her attention, but sometimes it wanders off."

Sugar said: "Do you think because they have such large foreheads that they think too much - I expect it's hard for them just to feel what is happening instead of thinking about it, and to pay attention when we're working with them."

The mares agreed and decided to continue napping for a while before resuming grazing.

* * * * * *

Maisie was better, and is now a bit worse. Last night when I brought her in from grazing, she was a little better - not lame but just somewhat unsound. And then she was the same this morning. Tonight, not so good - lame again. I expect it was the bute, or lack thereof - she had bute last night but not this morning, so was worse tonight. Our farrier is coming tomorrow, so I gave her some bute (1 gram) this evening and will give her another dose tomorrow morning. I hope it helps, because as it is, she's not very willing to lift the right front because that involves putting weight on the left front, and I'm also not sure she's going to be very happy having the left front fussed with. We'll have to see what tomorrow brings.

15 comments:

  1. I hope she will be ok. Where in Tennessee do your other horses live? I live just north of Nashville.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Judy - they live with Jason and Melissa at Paradigm Farms, which is south of Nashville.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate, still no idea of what the deal is? Impending abscess?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leah Fry - could be a bruise, could be an abscess, could be something else -who knows? She doesn't seem to be really hurting badly so I'm giving it some time -if we don't get some improvement we'll pull shoes and do some x-rays. There's no swelling or heat in the legs, and she's not got the bulging of the soles that she got with laminitis (concussion not grass) last year, so I'm not too worried with waiting at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope Maisie improves quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Sugar has us figured out! Smart mare!

    I hope tomorrow goes well. Maybe the farrier will be able to shed some light on the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope Maisie is better tomorrow and cooperates with the farrier. I love the conversation. I mostly love the image of Dawn snoozing while the others gossip.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lily says to tell Sugar it's that the two leggeds are dense as the bottom of a feed bucket.

    Hope Maisie feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. As crazy as this sounds I hope you find Maisie 3-legged lame tomorrow and that the farrier is then able to easily locate an abcess and drain it. Problem solved. It could happen!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with Melissa and think an abscess is the cause of this lameness. We have been there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Maybe your farrier wil have some insight into what is going on with her

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amusing equine disussion. lol!

    Sure hope Maisie is feeling better soon.


    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad to hear your farrier is coming, I turn to mine before the vet for any lameness issue. (I've had issues with misdiagnosis--if you remember my story with Cowboy). I'm interested to see what they have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd go along with the idea that it's an abscess. We just went through this with Siete, and sure enough, that's what the farrier found. Another thought is to try one of those ice pack wraps on her leg to bring down the inflammation without any medication. And there's also Animalintex, a wrap that works like a miracle for me when one of my girls has an abscess. Good luck - I know how frustrating it is when she is lame and there isn't an obvious cause. In our case, it's usually Lyme disease, so you're lucky that you don't have to worry about that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm suspicious of an occult abscess too. Sometimes the symptoms mimic other things and the abscess just takes a long time to show up.

    A good farrier is a treasure.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.