Friday, May 14, 2010

Maisie Moves

Maisie's journey to the new barn went well. She has a nice stall - all the stalls are 14'x14' - on a corner where two barn aisles meet, so there will be things to watch. The drive was less than 15 minutes, and she loaded beautifully - I don't think she's been on a trailer in over 2 years. She did her usual pawing whenever we were stopped, but otherwise travelled well. The trip was uneventful, except for my turning down the wrong street and having to back up and turn around - my truck and trailer are 55' long so that's a trick. We took a bale of the old barn's hay to help her transition, and they've also put a water bucket in her stall in case she takes a while to learn how to use the automatic waterer.

After we unloaded Maisie and her stuff, she'd settled in a bit and I'd completed the barn's paperwork, I was able to turn her out in the indoor arena - it had just been dragged and the footing was excellent (they drag it every day). She did a little bit of exploring and some running and trotting, but settled down pretty quickly. She was even willing to follow me around, and also backed up whenever I moved towards her - I haven't taught her to do either thing explicitly and it was nice to see her so interested and engaged. She was also pretty interested in the other horses - doing some calling and looking out of the doors.

I met one of the other boarders, who seemed very nice. I can't wait to get on and ride, although that may be a few days yet - my back's slowly getting better. My daughter may ride her tomorrow.

19 comments:

  1. jess - she's at a private barn on the north side of Hawthorn Woods called the Countryside Turf Club (the owner raises and races Standardbreds) which is off of Hawley between Rte. 60 and Gilmer. My older daughter is currently working for one of the trainers there, so I've got extra eyes which makes me more comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh great! I've heard of Countryside Turf Club - heard it's beautiful. Good for you!! Best of luck to Maisie at the new barn!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a successful move and a nice place. I hope you both enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a smooth transition. Please show us some pictures...hope your back is better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like everything went very smoothly...well, except for the wrong turn! Wow, turning a big trailer like that around, you're good, I would have cried! LOL
    Hope your back is better soon, can't wait for pictures from the new barn! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad tha move went well. Hope your back feels up to snuff soon and you are "back in the saddle "

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! Moving can be stressful, so I'm glad it went well for you.

    Hope you get to feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another vote for pictures of the new place. it is nice to be able to visualize all that you are describing in your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad that her move went well! I hope that your back is feeling better so you can test out that new arena!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a great place, and I'm glad she didn't have any trouble with the move thus far.

    Glad you're feeling better too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sure you and Maisie will have a great time at the new place. It's so nice that your daughter works there. Good luck and hope your back feels well enough to ride soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good luck at the new place!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm glad the move was uneventful. That is always a good thing.

    With the limited turnout this may be better for Maisies Insulin Resistant/Laminitis.

    Please take care of your back. I've always found Tiger Balm liniment very helpful (I believe you can find it at Wal-mart now or a pharmacy).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like Maisie has a nice stall and will settle in nicely. I am sorry about your back though. Rats, that is such bad luck. At least you can take the onder drug: ibuprfen. I wonder if bute is the wonder drug for horses?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a nice place for all of you to enjoy. Extra eyes help ease the mind.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yea...now you can focus on what you wish to and with your daughter there...relax too.
    Be well, heal up..it's your turn to enjoy!
    LOVE YOUR HEADER>>>is that you?!!!
    KK

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like things went smoothly. I'm glad that it's working out so well.

    I hope your back is well soon. I will swear by Sore No More. I use it on my knee and my hips and after riding. Wow. It works so well and so fast. It's a linament for horses, too. You can buy it in gallon sizes. lol!


    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.