Sunday, May 2, 2010

Quiet Days

Maisie is tolerating her stall rest pretty well - she would prefer to be with the other horses but is adjusting to the new routine. In order to improve the chances she doesn't develop an impaction colic due to lack of movement and inadequate water intake (she's had two impactions before), we're wetting her hay (she already gets plain table salt with her feed) and hanging it in a small-mesh hay bag for her to eat. I do this in the morning and then again at noon and at p.m. feeding time, and also pick her stall then. I'm able to hang her hay bag under the window, which she prefers - she can grab a mouthful and then look out. I've been bringing Dawn in at around noon everyday to graze nibbles in the small paddock just outside Maisie's window - they're both happy with that. Dawn is getting fatter and fatter, but thankfully does not seem to have the same susceptibility to laminitis that Maisie does - at least so far. Tomorrow I'm going to start lunging Dawn - she has to get some exercise or she's going to explode.

In the morning while Maisie's stall is being cleaned, I move her to another stall - she's walking really well and I think things are clearing up - it's pretty clear there's no abscess involved. When she gets back in her stall, I've been poulticing her left front from the fetlock joint down - it actually feels very good on my hands which tend to get dried out, and Maisie manages to get poultice on her nose and my jacket while I'm doing it. I'm hoping the vet will clear her on Monday for limited turnout - we may need some chemical assistance (Ace) to make this safe for her, but we'll see. Once she can be turned out for a bit, we can begin to consider our move to the new barn.

Saturday morning, when I went to take mares out, I discovered that a section of the fence in the pasture I was taking the mares to had blown down in the night (big storm) - a bad post went down and took several boards with it. This meant we didn't have a safe perimeter for 3 pastures - there would have only been electric between the horses and the outside - so Sugar's owner and I rearranged pastures and I rearranged water tanks. The fence section that went down had looked OK the day before - I'm just glad horses weren't in there when it went.

Scout's owner had planned to take him on a trail ride with a friend this morning - the friend showed up with his trailer and off they went - but when I came to the barn at noon, there was Scout, his owner and the vet - Scout had managed to cut the area above his eye open and needed stitches. The friend has a 4-horse slant with mangers, and Scout always seems to get his head where it shouldn't be and somehow cuts himself - this time he really did it. He'd been sedated and stitched, and this afternoon the cut looked pretty good - he always seems to get in trouble but I really don't like mangers in trailers.

Hope everyone's enjoying May, now that we've made it this far!

9 comments:

  1. Here's hoping all gets back to normal soon.

    I hear ya with fluffy ponies. Both mine could stand to drop some weight, but in lieu of that, I want them in shape! They both did well on our ride today and weren't as tired out at the end as they have been.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a fan of mangers in trailers either, hope Scout feels better soon. Glad Maisie is better as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo, maybe I should threaten Bar with stall rest so he leaves his leg wraps intact?

    Actually, I think it was user error on my part and I've got things re-engineered at the moment.

    Hope Maisie is better soon and can go back out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, poor Jill! That strikes a nerve with me for sure :(

    I think you're making the right choice, moving your riding horse and your IR-type horse to the other facility. My guiding philosophy with horses is that this is a hobby and I should enjoy it. I think you're past the point where you really enjoy farm maintenance, so moving somewhere low-maintenance is an excellent move. Yay :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your doing such a good job caring for Maisie. I'm sure it's very worrying for you nonetheless. But I hope she continues to improve.

    Good thing you saw the fence situation before the mares went out. You have a good eye.

    After considering the reasons why Apache would be scared to load in our two horse bumper pull I came to the conclusion it was because she was bending her head down underneath the bar in between the two stalls and then trying to pull it back up and hitting herself in the poll or nose. We have mangers, too. But I came to this conclusion because when I working with her, I'd stand inside the trailer with her and watched her do just that.
    I'm pretty positive she didn't do this when she was loaded with another horse in the stall beside her, but by herself she had no reason not to...except when she'd hurt herself on that bar.

    So now when I load her I attach her halter to the strap and clip in the manger, so she's not able to lower her head anymore.
    I just have to always be sure to unclip her before I open the doors to the back of the trailer.

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Having horses sure is a lot of work. How many calories do you burn in one day? But still, so worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tucker can sympathize with Maisie for now. But I do like horses that accept having to stay in without too much fuss. Glad Maisie is adapting.

    I'm hoping you will have good news about her turnout so you can make that move!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad that Maisie is being a good girl about the stall rest. If I were a horse, I know it would drive me crazy! We've gone from temps in the '30's to the '80's in less than a week, so I've got colic prevention on high alert around here. Sounds like you've got your hands full with fences down and injured horses. Have you ever heard about "paddock paradise"? It's a pretty interesting idea developed to keep horses moving as they graze throughout the day. I'm thinking about trying it. There's a website - paddockparadise.wetpaint.com - where you can read about it. Also they show some interesting "slow feeders" that I might try to fashion to keep Siete from gobbling her hay too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh..yea the paddock paradise offers sooo many interesting things on how to create an environment that mimicks their natural life and how it was in the past, etc.
    I'm glad Maisie seems to be healing, and SO glad no rotation. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.