Thursday, May 13, 2010

Rain, Back and Bath

We had torrential rain last night and all this morning - we've had over 3.5 inches in about 48 hours. Even grassy areas have standing water, and the mud . . . Our arena looks like it's auditioning for a pleasure boating site.

My husband is off to pick up my younger daughter at college, so when I got home from the barn this morning, it seemed like a nice morning to clean house. I was sweeping, bent over to pick something up off the floor and - those of you who have iffy backs will get this - all of a sudden I realized that was a very bad idea. I go for long periods with no significant back trouble and then I get sloppy with my body mechanics and pay the price. Shooting pain and cramping muscles. I've been doing a lot of stretching, icing and Ibuprofen, and also doing some self-massage on those pesky muscles that are cramping - particularly the psoas which give me trouble. And walking in short bits.

The timing of this is unfortunate - Maisie's moving to her new barn tomorrow morning, and I'd hoped to start riding her very soon - it's been almost a month since I've been able to ride her due to the laminitis and then the weather. My younger daughter is helping me out by hitching the trailer and carrying some things, and also helped by bathing Maisie for me this afternoon - she was disgracefully muddy and for once it was almost warm enough. It may be a while before I can ride - I'm hoping days rather than weeks, but at least there will be one less stall to clean on the weekends and she'll have an indoor to be turned out in when the weather is bad so she can run a bit and kick up her heels.

Our wonderful p.m. feeding lady will take the horses out for me tomorrow morning - I think I can do the feeding although she may have to help me make up feed and carry Blackjack's bins of beet pulp - and others have volunteered to help with my stalls and horses over the weekend. The people at my existing barn (I'll have to call it Noble's barn since he'll be staying there regardless of whether Dawn does or not) are very helpful; I'm hoping the people at the new barn (Maisie's barn) will be as well.

16 comments:

  1. Oh, Kate!! What bad timing for your back to go out, those things are soooo annoying! I have some trouble from time to time with my back too.
    Hope you get it worked out soon so you can ride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate, my husband's back is like that too. He had a severely herniated disc in early 2006 and had to have surgery to cut it back. Most of the time he's fine, but he finds that it gets fatigued easily and, occasionally, if he moves the wrong way, he ends up having to be extra careful for a few days (or weeks!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, hit that little orange button too soon. :o) I meant to add that I hope your back starts feeling better sooner rather than later, that the move goes well, and that Maisie likes her new home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bad timing alright! I hope your back gets in shape quickly. Look forward to how Maisie is doing at her new barn...pictures please. Enjoy having your daughter home...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Geez, sorry to hear about your back!! I have had problems with my back for years. I found that a body pillow or at lease a pillow in between my legs at night really helps. So does walking, believe it or not. Hope you start feeling better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending good healing thoughts your way. I hope the morning finds your back loose and relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Actually this will give her just enough time to settle in, then your back will be better. Maybe the universe is just trying to make sure you give her a week or two to adjust.

    (Or it's just lousy luck)

    Hope you feel better sooner rather than later!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Arg. . . I remember the first time my back went out. I hope that you heal quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nothing worse than back pains... hope it gets better quickly.

    Cute blog! Enjoyed my visit.

    Julie
    www.ridingaside.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so sorry you hurt your back! I have a lot of problems with my back, just a lot of pain and I really need a chiropractor! This job of mine is killing my back!
    I hope you are feeling better real soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have just recently learned how important chiropractic adjustments are for us. I had worked very hard when I was young on our dairy farm carrying several 20-30 10 gallon feed buckets to our cattle and also fell off of my horse once. My chiropractor ask me what the heck I've done long ago to my back....had I been in a terrible car accident? I had not...just hard manual labor. We do awful damage to our spines and don't even know it. Of course I don't think parents took their children to chiropractors back then as they realize the importance of it nowadays. It's so vital to other organs working properly. I get weekly adjustments and it does help. Of course now I ride so much that it compounds the problem but I'll never stop. Yoga (the exercise, not the religion)helps and stretching is wonderful. The one thing I wish I could do is when I clean my horses hooves is to put them between my legs like the farrier has to do to get them used to it but I cannot afford to....it hurts too much. So I just hold them up to pick them out. Now they're accustomed to that way and not the between the knees method that the farrier needs....Romeo especially is a stinker sometimes...but he's still learning. I hope your back heals quickly and riding again soon. I know what you mean about all this rain, I chuckled at the pleasure boating site comment! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What BET said, in spades ! I hope your back gets better quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is it sad that after our rain event of two weeks ago 4.5" of rain seems like nothing to me now? (how is it even possible that we NEED rain now - but we need rain??!!) I'll take a moment to brag on my arena and say that after a foot of rain I was able to ride in it the next day!

    Jason has his share of back problems and I have seen how crippling that can be. DO NOT PUSH yourself the next few days and let others do the work for you. I hope Maisie's move goes well, but how lucky are you that your daughter works at the new barn!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Best of luck with your back! Where is Maisie moving to?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope that your back is feeling better by now. I totally sympathize since I go through the same thing and while it eventually heals up, it is painful and frustrating when it happens. I vow that I'm going to start doing Pilates and build my core muscles, and I swear that come June 1st, I'm going to find time in my day to exercise. Icing works best for me - and less stress. Take care, Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aha! So this is what happened to your back. I'm relieved to hear it's just some strained muscles and you didn't fall of a horse or break anything, though. Building your core muscles makes a huge difference is supporting the back. You might want to try Sore No More, too. It works wonders. You can google it and find the website. It's used as a linament for horses, too. It really works. Is sort of like Bengay with the icy hot, but I'm amazed at what a huge difference it makes in healing.

    Feel better soon,
    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.