Tuesday, June 1, 2010

A Day For Dentists

Today our horse dentist Mike came. I trailered Maisie in from the other barn so she could be seen as well. He looked at our old horses but didn't need to do any work - he's very cautious about doing much to old horses as they aren't growing much if any tooth and need to preserve their biting surfaces to chew effectively. He said that Noble had a really excellent set of teeth for a 30-year-old horse - he's only lost one tooth so far and the rest are in good shape.

He's seen Maisie for several years now and continued his work on her - she had a terrible mouth and he's been making changes incrementally over time - he doesn't believe in making drastic changes all at once. I always enjoy watching him work - he does the horses in the aisle, does not use a harness or stand to hold the head up and kneels (knee pads!) to do his work. He only uses manual floats and instruments as he believes they're safer for the horses' teeth and less likely to over-float, which he says he sees a lot of these days. Here's a picture of him working on Maisie from last year:

Dawn also needed work - she'd somehow managed to break a number of molars (perhaps she's taken to dining on rocks!), and those needed some smoothing off. One molar was broken down to the gum line, but amazingly enough it didn't seem to hurt her at all.

While Maisie was resting in her old stall and recovering from sedation, I made a quick trip to the dentist myself on an emergency basis. My bad molar really acted up over the weekend, but the oral surgeon I was supposed to see couldn't see me for another 3 weeks - which considering how my tooth was hurting, was way too long. My regular dentist got me an appointment right away with another good oral surgeon, and I'm relieved to say that the bad tooth is now gone, gone, gone. My mouth hurts a bit, but nothing as bad as it did before the tooth was removed.

Then I went home and trailered Maisie back to the other barn. My older daughter was good enough to help me unhitch - I wasn't supposed to be doing any physical effort today and only cheated a little. 6 hours later, there's still some bleeding, but that's to be expected.

14 comments:

  1. Ugh, doesn't sound too pleasant at all. Dentists are one thing I absolutely hate...I knocked a tooth out as a kid that required many stages and much work to fix. Although I'm always a model patient on the inside, inside I'm just dying to get the heck outta there. A timely post for me as I'm getting a cleaning tomorrow ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to be sedated like the horses when I go !!! On a serious note... a good equine dentist is not easy to find, it sounds like you have one. I like that he does everything as naturally as possible.

    Have a great week!
    ~Jeni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad your dentist is cautious with the oldsters. YOU take it easy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, saw the x-ray of your tooth! not good. Our ED is pretty damn good too. Took us many tries to find a good one. As for your tooth? Well you did have my sympathy, now you really have my thoughts on how bad it must have been! But well done, having it removed, i`m afraid I am a bit of a coward when it comes to my teeth being attacked by some hoodlum in a white coat! But needs must! Have a good week and I hope the bleeding stops soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OOCH!!!! I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. glad everyone is taken care of, and that you didn't have to wait 3 weeks to get your molar removed. Ouch, that would not have been a pleasant wait.

    sounds like you have a great equine dentist too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hate the dentist too! Glad everything works out well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My horse has never seen an equine dentist but one time Bill and I put a floater apparatus thing in her mouth just to look around in there. She was really good about it. I would like to see an equine dentist at work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Heck of a way to empathize with your horses.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We recently had all our horses teeth done too. Glad it all worked out for you with your tooth. I'm not a big fan of dentists either but it's a necessary evil sometimes. Years ago when I had a tooth/gum that kept bleeding my old time dentist suggested soaking a teabag and holding it on the gum. It did the trick. Hope it heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, this way you may sympathize with your mare some!
    Glad you got that taken care of...it'll be better in no time, I hope!
    KK

    ReplyDelete
  12. ouch ouch ouch. I hope the tooth gone has made you feel much better

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope YOUR mouth feels a lot better now that the offending tooth is gone!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.