Saturday, June 5, 2010

Maisie Says Ouch

Well, Maisie was all fixed up for about 24 hours - the dentist, farrier and chiropractor had all done their best. My daughter rode her yesterday morning and she was very sound - so sound that she thought doing her "big trot" (big push from behind) and various varieties of cavorting were in order. There were some minor fireworks, but they worked through it until she settled down a bit.

Then I came in the afternoon to ride. I groomed and tacked, and as I was leading her to the indoor, she seemed a bit . . . short-strided. I got on and we did about 10 minutes of work at the walk - I figured she might be a bit sore and perhaps would warm up out of it. She seemed to be walking pretty well - I didn't detect any obvious "offness", and certainly no lameness . . . until we trotted. Stride - lurch - stride - lurch - we didn't take more steps than that as she was obviously quite lame, although she didn't show any reluctance to move up into the trot. It felt to me like she didn't want to push with the left hind, which was the stifle/gaskin the chiropractor had done a lot of work on. I suspect in the cavorting/hard work she did with my daughter that she tweaked something, probably the stifle again. There was no heat, swelling or tenderness in the legs anywhere that I found, so I gave her a gram of Bute and put her away.

She wasn't any worse and in fact may have been a bit better this morning, according to my daughter's report. She got her turnout - she doesn't run in turnout (usually), and I hand-walked her later in the indoor for about 10 minutes, and then for fun we did a bit of clicker/targeting work in her stall. She walked well, and got a bit looser as we went. The left hind was a bit stocked up above the pastern, but once again there was no heat or tenderness. Once again I gave her some Bute - with luck none tomorrow - I'm careful about Bute because of the potential for stomach irritation. I didn't trot her in hand - I may try that tomorrow if she's still good at the walk.

Maisie's always been a hard horse to get back into work after a layoff. She tends to be very forward at the best of times, and lungeing a horse with stifle issues to burn off energy isn't a very safe strategy. We'll continue working up to more in the indoor and drop the outdoor for now as it tends to excite her. More straight lines, more trotting, more trotting, more trotting, to muscle up those stifles - then if she cavorts, she should still be OK. I'm in no hurry.

11 comments:

  1. That is the best attitude, not being in a hurry. Sorry she is sore again though. That really stinks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure she'll work herself out of this quickly. She's probably just did too much since she felt so good. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to tell them to take it easy after they've had some work done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stifles usually do respond to exercise. My vet had me trotting Tucker for 25-30 minutes a day with lots of up and down hills.

    When I had a horse with chronic problems, I made sure I trotted him for 15-20 minutes every day. As long as I kept up that routine, he stayed sound for hunter/jumper and eventing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm. I imagine chiropactic work can lead to a sense of "I can do anything" which can lead to "woo hoo" which might lead to "Owww"

    I wonder.

    Hope she's feeling better tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so much like what Bar and I are both going through as we heal. Ha!

    Slow is definitely good, and he seems to be learning to pay attention to his body more.

    Me? Not necessarily.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awe nuts! Sounds like you have it a ll well in hand though

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Maisie, hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your right to take it slow, its always the best.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can imagine how after the lurching you immediatley started doing differentials and diagnostics. That is what we do here. We always think of everything and lump the worst case scanarios in with the ordinary things that are probably what is really going on. Lameness can make me fret so much! Luckily, it sounds like your head is in the right place. Thank goodness for Bute! Fell better Maisie!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maisie mare, take it easy and all will be good soon!
    Sorry Kate, what a balance it can be... just like our bodies!
    KK

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.