Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Maisie Smiles

Requests have been made for pictures of Maisie "smiling" when she's out grazing with the mare herd. Yesterday, she got to go out for 30 minutes with the mares, and she was delighted - today she'll get 45 minutes and I expect will be even more delighted. She'd had about 4 hours of dry lot turnout in the morning with Dawn, and they seem to have settled in together - Dawn was doing less posturing by the time I came to get them.

Here's the Maisie face that greeted me, with a big whinny, when I went to the barn in the afternoon to turn her out for her grazing time:

I turned her out in the pasture next to the mares - as soon as I let her go she started grazing:

But then she had to run to see the mares - that's Dawn on the right running up and calling:

Dawn was very interested in "her" mare - the mudlocks from her morning roll in the wet, muddy paddock create an interesting hairdo:

Maisie did some moving around once the mares joined her in the pasture:

She dropped a mouthful of something that she didn't want:

And moved off again:

Now if this isn't a horse smile, I don't know what is:

I left her out there - but she did look up when I called her name before she went back to the grass:

22 comments:

  1. She is a very beautiful horse! I love the "ankle socks" =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is a beauty...nice socks, as JeniQ said! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy horse. I think turnout is so important. Just kills me when ever I have to keep a horse some place they can not get turnout. Glad she is home and happy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is BEAUTIFUL Kate!!!!!!! I LOVE her color and her dapples and her markings!!! Stunning mare :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maisie IS a beautiful girl! Glad she home!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ditto to everything others have said.
    I love the picture of her spitting something out. Isn't it amazing how they can be so discriminating....and how they can use their lips to navigate around a weed to get just the grass that they want?!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mudlocks- love it!

    Maisie has the most interesting coat, such pretty dapples on her neck and shoulders and what an intriguing left front sock.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely pictures. You can see such sweetness in her face.

    ReplyDelete
  9. She looks so happy! I am so glad! Thanks for sharing the lovely pictures, Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kate! I love all of it! The header, the photos and Maisie's smile. You are such a responsible owner. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sigh...happy, content Maisie. Smiles here for her!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the last picture of her. She reminds me so much of my beloved Bridget, she is a beautiful mare.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I too can't get over the socks. Socks on a horse make me smile every single time I see them. Maybe I just love that they are actually called socks, like this morning Maisie woke up and pulled them on. Adorable. I like the look of your blog! The red dazzles!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, she looks amazing! So beautiful! And I love the new red background. Definitely goes well with her!

    ReplyDelete
  15. She really is a beauty. Love the new look to the blog.

    And please ship me some of that lovely grass. We got nuthin' now that summer's officially here. No rain in sight.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The horse smile is adorable. Her mane didn't look muddy, it looked like you braided her with fancy beads.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yep, she sure looks happy to be back.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Contentment, thy name is Maisie! *G*

    She looks great. I do love how she is responding to you. It must feel good to be so important to her that she acknowledges your presence.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A happy and, btw quite a lovely horse

    ReplyDelete
  20. She really is just beuatiful!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.