Sunday, July 11, 2010

Civil War Days

My husband and I had the chance to go to Civil War Days, a large scale Civil War re-enactment, with a big encampment and battle. It's held every year at a public preserve near us. This year we went in the morning - it was very hot - so we didn't get to see the battle, but I did get to see a number of the horses that participate.

Most of the horses seemed to be either Quarter Horses or Morgans. Here's a horse in the picket line:

Here is the full kit, including a McClellan saddle and a standard U.S. Army cavalry bit:

I liked these horses with the man in period costume:

Here is one unit getting ready for their drill practice:

All lined up:

This Morgan was handsome (that blur is his tongue):

Close order drill:

And, to end up, some tails!

It looked like a lot of fun, and most of the horses seemed to handle the simulated gunfire, charges and cannon fire pretty well. It was a fun outing, especially since it included horses!

14 comments:

  1. I would like to see one of Civil War events to look at the horses alone! That must have been so cool! You took some fantastc pictures. I have been looking at each one with great interest. I don't know very much about Morgans but everyone seems to love them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like a fun day. I liked all the pictures, particularly the one with the tails.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are really great pictures. I love the curvy shanks on the blaze faced horse's bit. It looks like a walking horse bit. The last shot- tails- is very cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate...loved these shots...especially the one with the tails. For years I participated in a Quadrille, and we alway did a Civil War ride at the Genesee Country Museum. We always left before they got to the canons!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks like fun, I love going to stuff that includes horses, but my husband not as excited as me, but he goes anyways

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll bet that would be an awesome sight to see! Always wanted to try one of those McClellan saddles - heard they were pretty comfy (the officer's version, anyway :o) Neat post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pictures Kate! I'd love to find one of those around here... not sure if hubby has interest but I'll make him go anyway =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The tail picture is awesome! They do a big re-enactment of the Battle of Franklin here, complete with horses, artillery, etc. I haven't gone to it in a long time but it is quite a sight to see.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are great photos Kate! We get Revolutionary and Civil War re-enactments near us, particularly at Yorktown as it saw battles during both wars.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! My hubby would love this. When he and I lived in Maryland we were we always attending Civil War reanactments and visiting the battlefields and historic sites.

    I enjoy seeing the horses the most, of course, and all that rustic and authentic tack. Oooh! The Morgan was gorgeous! Great photos, too!

    I like your new header. Very nice!


    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't help but giggle at the last photo. Nice pictures, that morgan is pretty handsome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great photos. It looks like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic photos! You know that Mel is a CW reenactor too, right?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.