Thursday, July 22, 2010

Day One of the Clinic

So far the Mark Rashid clinic has been a great learning experience - reinforcing for me some things I already know and teaching me some new things. And then every horse is an individual - there are 8 horse/rider pairs. No pictures to speak of today - we were driven inside to the indoor after the first rider by torrential rain that continued all day and I didn't think using a flash would be a good idea. There will be pictures from tomorrow and Saturday, as better weather is expected. At the end of the day, the tornado sirens went off and another huge storm rolled through - no actual tornado which was very good.

So far, here are my nicknames for the horse/rider pairs:

Horse #1 - a 4 year old Percheron/paint gelding and his 12 year old rider - "Baby stuff" (the horse, not the rider).

Horse #2 - a 17 year old bay TB gelding and his teenage rider - "Change the thought to change the feel to change the action".

Horse #3 - a 6 year old chestnut QH mare and the only male rider of the clinic - "Dial it down".

Horse #4 - a chestnut Saddlebred mare and her very experienced rider - "Prepare, breathe and ride through".

Horse #5 - a 14 year old chestnut QH mare - "Don't stop the flow".

Horse #6 - a 6 year old Trakehner gelding - "Keep breathing and don't pull".

Horse #7 - a bay tobiano mare - there's no other title for this one except "I'm leaning . . . I'm leaning . . . oops! I fell over" - this one was fascinating, and yes the horse is fine (rider wasn't on board).

Horse #8 - a chestnut QH mare - "Boundaries and don't run me over".

That's all for tonight - just a taste of what's to come - we'll see if these horses and riders keep their nicknames or get new ones by the end of the clinic.

14 comments:

  1. I'm SOOOOOOO JEALOUS! I LOVE Mark Rashid! You must be at his Wisconsin clinic?! Can't wait to hear more (nicknames are funny)! Please keep us posted! You're auditing the clinic, correct?! He was at Equine Affaire in 2009, unfortunately he only spoke at the Massachuesetts convention and not the one in Ohio that spring...Oh well, I REALLY want to see him in person someday, but for now, I just watch his clinics via the internet...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your nick names! ;) I wonder what ours would be. Makes me wonder how an onlooker would sum us up in a phrase. Have fun! Thank you so much for your thoughtful reporting we can all live vicariously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to hear the imparted wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kate, lucky you!!! I so want to see Mark in person someday too. I have read all his books but one and love them. Seeing him in person would be awesome!
    Can't wait to hear more about the clinic, good names for the participants!
    I am hanging on the edge of my chair here waiting for the next post!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for writing up the clinic - I'm looking forward to reading more!

    As I was reading, it occurred to me that I know riders who fit each one of your descriptions, including myself - somewhere between "don't stop the flow" and "prepare, breathe, and ride through."

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great! I read through your 2009 clinic posts and really enjoyed the thoughts and concepts, so I'm looking forward to this year's posts. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh you lucky thing, you! I would love to attend one of his clinics (I'm on his last book right now). Can't wait to hear all the details :o)
    P.S. So, did you give yourself a nickname? (Do tell. *grin*)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your names for horse/rider pairs are great. Many of them are good reminders to me! I especially like the 'Change the thought...' and those that remind me about breathing!
    I need that with dear Pippin!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great nicknames. Must be fun to try to sum up the character of a horse in a line like that. *G*

    Looking forward to the rest of your reports.

    ReplyDelete
  10. VERY interested to hear about the "I am leaning, I am leaning, oops I fell over" horse. My mare was like that years ago and I now have a healthy fear of turning corners at the canter...as in "oops I fell on you!" Ouch! Tell me more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you're going to have so much to share with all of us. Have fun!

    Love the creative, descriptive nicknames, too.


    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your nicknames are hysterical. Can't wait to find out more!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.