Saturday, July 3, 2010

Fritz is Startled

Yesterday, when our nice PM barn lady brought Fritz in from the pastures and put him in his stall, he immediately was alarmed and tried to bolt back out the stall door. We figured he might have seem someone walking by outside his window, so she led him out there and I followed. No people. So we looked around - Fritz is one of those horses who is very sensitive to anything in his environment that looks different - he's the one who'll notice the bucket that wasn't there before, or a newly overturned water tank, and spook at it. It took us a moment, but then we saw it - there were some hoses that had been hung from a hook under the eaves, and he could see them from the window. He wasn't at all worried about them while he was outside. But from his stall, they were New and therefore Very Scary. I took them off the hook, and when he went back into his stall, he glanced out the window - no hoses - and began to calmly eat his hay. A minor horse mystery solved!

9 comments:

  1. Fritz is a VERY good "noticer"... (safety first!) some of us are blessed with this talent, and others - not so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many horses have been take out by water hose snakes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My trainer and I were marveling the other day about the little things they notice. For instance, our barn recently put box fans in the windows in the cross ties in the indoor barn. When Panama and I rode by the indoor barn the other day, he kept looking over. Presented with everything else at the barn, he noticed small box fans were now in the windows -- and the fans weren't even on at the time. They are amazing creatures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a smart man. My horse Erik was like that too, anything new was spook-worthy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wish I had the same kind of memory recall horses have. I'd never forget anything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very interesting! I've known some horses to spook at "new" things in their stalls, but not to the extent of being able to see things outside their stall window! : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish I was a horse! Then my OH wouldnt tell me I dont notice anything!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing what they notice! It is always interesting to me the things they decide are Very Scary and the things they decide are ok, sometimes the choices are surprising.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good catch, and nice affirmation for Fritz that you were paying attention and didn't just think "There's nothing wrong--just get over it."

    Lena is much the same way, though often for her it's an excuse to play.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.