Thursday, July 15, 2010

Mid-Summer

I took a walk one morning this week, and took some photos of the mid-summer prairie plants. Here is a native Monarda (Bee Balm), with an unidentified insect enjoying the nectar:

A Monarch butterfly was sipping nectar from the Common Milkweed, with some Grey-Headed (Yellow) Coneflowers in the background:

I always think Liatris - there are different types and I'm not sure which one this is - are spectacular:

This isn't a prairie plant, but there is a huge willow tree I pass by:

More Monarda, with Purple Cornflowers and grasses:

A group of Yellow Coneflowers:

Compass Plants are about my favorite summer prairie plant:

A perfect Queen Anne's Lace flower:

Swamp Milkweed:

More Compass Plants:


Enjoy your summer day!

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful, serene. Thanks for taking me along on the walk. The only reminders of prairie flowers growing wild here in socal are sunflowers, which are in full bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the flowers are gorgeous and I love your new header

    ReplyDelete
  3. How pretty, like a summer wonderland. They should write a song about that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well? I would reciprocate, but the rain prevents me from venturing out beyond the porch!
    They are lovely though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful place to take a walk and admire the scenery. Love all the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are such a great photographer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yess KATE!
    I loved your vivid flowers of summer!
    That plant, you said to be your favorite...mine too. They are now growing here but in California...like weeds! The faraway farm house in the back ground of that pic...so very nice!
    Loved your walking views, thanks!
    KK

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.