Monday, September 6, 2010

A Bareback Ride

Dawn and I took a brief ride yesterday and I got on her bareback. My younger daughter only rides Dawn bareback, so she's pretty used to it. Bareback feels very natural to me - that's pretty much the only way I rode until I was in college, and I rode all sorts of horses that way doing everything - jumping, galloping, you name it. I used to ride Noble bareback from time to time, I've ridden Lily a few times bareback, and even tried out Maisie, although getting on and off was a bit of a challenge - she's 16.2 - and she really didn't like it very much.

But since Dawn has big hematomas that are close to the girth area, and since we weren't going to do any strenuous work - just some loose rein walking, I decided to ride bareback today. I used the big mounting block - I'm too old for the jump up on your belly and swing your leg over method my daughter uses. Dawn felt very comfortable to me - it's easy to sit on her in just the right place and she's shaped pretty nicely for bareback - just enough withers and spine that there are two sides instead of just a round barrel shape, but not too much withers and spine either. We walked around on the hill behind the stable and in the arena.

She had had 4 of the past 5 days off, so she was feeling pretty good, and pretty interested in looking at things going on - people on the trail and in the vegetable garden. On the field, she wanted to trot, so we did that briefly - I didn't want her to trot much until the wounds and hematomas are a bit better healed. She did one big spook in the arena, but I stayed on pretty well and she tolerated me digging in one of my heels to stay centered.

Here are some nice pictures taken by our wonderful p.m. barn lady who was there bringing in horses and feeding. She's still wearing her ride mask here - and you can see in all the photos that she's pretty distracted:

Here her mask is off, so her pretty face shows:

Here she is walking down our little hill:

I think she'll be back to full work very soon. Bareback was fun - I may have to do some more of that!

14 comments:

  1. I just wrote on your last post about bareback! LOL My Gilly has a wonderful back for bareback, it's almost like someone sat on him and made an impression and that's just where you sit. Like a bean bag chair...hahaha very comfortable!
    love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate...the pictures of you and Dawn are beautious! Bareback riding puts you in the perfect position.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great way for her to convalesce. We should all do more bareback riding!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely bareback photos Kate! We can't help but sit beautifully without the leather...

    Just wanted to say that Maisie will surely love her retirement at Paradigm Farms, though it will be tough to let her go I'm sure.

    I hope Val's retirement is a long way away, but I would send him to Tennessee in a heartbeat :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bareback is so much warmer. 2 pretty faces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a nice time with Dawn. She is such a pretty horse

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love riding bareback however I do find the horse needs to have the right "shape" as you mentioned. I don't like riding bareback if the shape is wrong! (by the way I put this comment on the wrong post so the deleted comment is mine!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. she looks like a comfy ride bareback. How nice to have that real connection

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like riding bareback also. It really forces you to concentrate on your balance. Poco is a comfy bareback ride. Jaz, not so much.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was just sitting down to post about my bareback ride and thought I'd catch a few favorite blogs first - you beat me to it! I love bareback riding, feels so connected to the horse, but unfortunately I didn't do it as a kid like you did. Bet you have an incredibly strong seat. Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the photos of you and Dawn! beautiful!

    ps healing thoughts sent Dawn's way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a fun ride! I'm sooo jealous of your seat though! I went riding bareback a few days ago and was wobbley at a walk! lol What's with so many people going bareback at the same time? Hm think I'll have to mention it in my post today.

    ~~ JennyB, Horsefeathers

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kate,
    What a wonderful bareback ride! You both look great! I'm glad she's healing well. I'm sorry about Maisie's retirement but it sounds like an idyllic place to retire.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.