Tuesday, October 12, 2010

And On and On . . .

Dawn still isn't quite right, although she seems a bit better - she probably heard me call the vet!  The pattern has been that she comes out sore in the morning and gets better during the day.  There's still some heat in the right front.  I'm suspecting a slow abscess or else she tweaked a joint - coffin joint perhaps.  We'll learn more from the x-rays on Friday, which will serve as a good baseline for the future.  Then to add insult to injury, tonight when I was grooming her flanks were very ouchy - she actually threatened to bite - I suspect a bit of gas colic due to the fact that we have a weather front moving through tonight.  She's eating and drinking normally, and I just checked on her again and all seems well - still ouchy but lots of gut sounds and one pile of poop.  It seems like there's always something with horses.

I spoke by phone about several horses, and e-mailed a third.  Horse #2, the paint mare, sounded like she might warrant a visit - I've asked for proper conformation shots to see her a bit better.  The person I spoke to is the trainer who works with the seller.  The seller has bought a fancier Western pleasure show horse and doesn't have time for the mare.  The mare doesn't move in the way Western pleasure horses should move - she's got too much knee action.  The trainer also said that she might be paddling in front - this would be a no-no for me if true because it puts a lot of lateral stress on the lower leg joints - Maisie is a paddler and is developing ringbone as a result.  The mare has had only two owners, neither of whom has done a lot with her besides trail riding - he said that although she had the basics she doesn't have a lot of buttons yet.  She sounds very calm and sensible - over the past weekend he took her on an overnight camping trip and she did very well - she may be a bit too calm for my taste but time will tell.

I spoke to the owner of horse #14, the blue roan draft cross mare.  She's been sold, as has this handsome paint gelding.  This seller, who is a dealer in horses, may have several new horses not even up on the sales sites yet that might fit my needs.  We spent a fair amount of time on the phone talking about my requirements and how she works to find horses and work with them.  She is a dealer and sells a fair number of horses, but she does a nice job of riding and presenting them.  There are issues when dealing with a dealer - knowledge of the horse and its history may be somewhat limited - but there are also honest dealers out there.  When buying from a dealer, the price may also be somewhat higher to compensate for their work.  I'll be doing my reference checking, but she seems to often have horses that are of the type that would meet my needs.

I've also corresponded by e-mail with the seller of horse #13, asking for proper conformation shots and a better history of what she's done with the horse and what the horse is trained to do and not yet trained to do.  There's something about the look of this mare that I like - I get the impression that she may have basic training and some trail experience but not that much more, but we'll see what the seller has to say.

If I get ready to make a trip to Michigan, horse #15 may come into the mix - we'll see (any comments on this one are appreciated).

Once again, we're having beautiful weather and I'm not riding.  Perhaps that'll change - but probably only when the weather's not as good!

21 comments:

  1. That's a heartbreaker about Horse #14, but I guess it wasn't meant to be. I think I'm starting to lose track of all of them, but I'm having so much fun following along that I think I'll enjoy going back and checking them out again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marissa - you're losing track of them! I'm losing track of them - I have to keep a list with notes about which horse they are and what I've done and who I've talked to and even then I have trouble keeping it all straight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. too bad about 14 , and I hope Dawn gets back to herself soon. #13 has certainly caught your attention I would have a look , can't hurt.The ad wasn't great and the pic didn't show much but...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fern - I've got a pedigree bias going here with #13, too - she's got Coy's Bonanza on the bottom and my Noble had him on the top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just clicked the "horse search" tag and went back for a little refresher course. Are 10, 11, and 12 still in the running? I'm still a fan of 10 and 11. They both seem like "been there done that" types.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's kind of hard to tell on the last horse, she looks nice but that's a smallish picture of her. I don't know how people expect to sell a horse without better pictures.

    As for horse #2, I still like her, probably because I think she's a beautiful paint and I love paints. I also like flashy (can't help that, it's just the way I am). I still think she's worth a look and ride just to see what's what. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just the numbers are enough to make me dizzy. I don't know how your'e keeping track of them all, lists or not.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Darn--I was hoping you'd get to see that draft mare cross. Dealers scare me for the exact reason you mentioned--that broken link between the experienced owner and the buyer--info can slip through the holes--and in one, personal case, I know of--it definitely did. But I'm sure there's honest ones out there, too. Do you think there'll be more for sale as winter hits and riding season ends and people may be thinning herds?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm getting a little confused about the numbers, too--but is #11 still in the running? It says he has Search and Rescue experience. He's a great age--9--and sounds like he's done a lot of "work". I'd love to see more pics of him. I love his front shot and the gal riding him sure looks happy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I sure hope you get Dawn's problem pinpointed.
    All I can say about horse 15 is that it's a very poor picture, but one owner who has trail ridden her could be a plus- and she comes from a line of good minded horses. But if she is 15-1, that is a very tall person riding her....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would have liked to gone for the draft cross too *sigh*. #15 looks interesting, other than she was trailed at age two (WAY too young; yikes!) makes for lots of back problems later in life, if you ask me (which you did ;o)
    They don't post a whole lot of photos for you to see, do they? On the paints, my understanding is that the Tobianos tend to be more willing and generally sweeter in nature than the Overos (I have NO idea why coat patterns would reflect in personality, but since I've known each type and found this to be true [thus far anyway] I'm passing it on).
    I think I'd have to have some sort of bulletin board set up with pictures to keep them all straight *grin*.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been mostly observing your horse search so far, but did like the draft cross--sorry you didn't at least get a chance to look at her.
    I just felt I needed to respond to Jen's comment about Tobiano's vs. Overos, temperament-wise: I've never heard that, and can attest to the fact that there is no grounds for it! Any more than the myths about white schlera or hair whorls. I've raised both, and my overos (including "Kate" in my avatar) have been just about the mellowest sweeties you can imagine. Maddie, my current Tobi, is a worrier (like her mama) but is coming along. It's sorta like the belief that red heads have a temper (my daughter doesn't) and blonds are ditsy--not so! Genetics and environment determine personality (probably in fairly balanced measure), not hair color or pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  13. EvenSong - thanks for the clarification!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I lucked out with two good, honest dealers in buying horses myself, so they are definitely out there.

    Too bad about the roan mare, but I'm not surprised she sold that fast.

    You'll find your match out there, I'm sure. Hope it's sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really like how you are searching for a horse with such a thorough attitude. I wasn't like that at all when I got my mare and now I realize just how lucky I was that i bought her from a guy who knows a good horse froma bad one. Really sheer luck that i got a horse so good. It is so fun to look at all of them. I shop vicariously through you. It's nice to find a horse whose owner has a real reason for selling him, and not it's not because the horse has problems. I like the horse who has been trail riding since 2 years old. That is a very attractive feature to me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really like how you are searching for a horse with such a thorough attitude. I wasn't like that at all when I got my mare and now I realize just how lucky I was that i bought her from a guy who knows a good horse froma bad one. Really sheer luck that i got a horse so good. It is so fun to look at all of them. I shop vicariously through you. It's nice to find a horse whose owner has a real reason for selling him, and not it's not because the horse has problems. I like the horse who has been trail riding since 2 years old. That is a very attractive feature to me.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm watching from a far too..as i have- zip experience -in horse shopping.I'm learning from you now!

    The #15..wonder why they bill her as a youth horse? Is it her size?Or is it she's burn't out?
    KK

    ReplyDelete
  18. Kate-as u know, I've read tons on laminitis, etc, not that it makes me more educated BUT:
    is Dawn stalled? I'm wondering if it's the lack of circulation that is causing her to be sore in the morning, if she's stalled. I've read a lot, A LOT, about the benefits of the horses circulation aiding in hoof health and in preventing the acute stage of laminitis, if they are able to move around all day/night. Also, hosing their legs with cool water is supposed to help as well. I have more info/articles from vets, etc (actually one in IL) if you want. Just email me and let me know:
    kristenshellenbarger@gmail.com
    That way, you can decide if it makes sense to you and want to try it out for Dawn to see if she responds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kristen - although it could be low-grade laminitis, it's not presenting quite like that - the way she stands and moves makes me think it's a joint problem, possibly the coffin joint. Our grass isn't rich right now, in fact it's a bit dried up, and her feed hasn't changed - she doesn't get any grain, just vitamin/mineral pellets. She is stalled at night, and the way it's acting makes me think arthritic type changes, perhaps - that morning stiffness is more like arthritis. There is some heat in the foot, although she's more heel-sore than toe or sole sore, as well. We're going to have some x-rays Friday and with luck that'll tell us some more, or at least rule some things out. I'm no vet, so with the luck the vet will help us figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Kate, so sorry about Cinder #14 being sold but it just means there's a better horse out there for you to find. I want to ask you if you noticed anything on horse #2 left front knee? It could just be a shadow in the pic but my eye went right to it the first time I saw this horses' pic, close to the inside of the knee. Reminds me of a goose egg? I like her too, she reminds me of my Derby (husband's horse)flashy. #15 is hard to tell....I don't like that they rode her at two, she does have some nice WP bloodlines, her feet appear good size (would really look them over) but I would definitely look her back over and even do a check to see if she has any sore spots. I like her size but I'm short. I'm getting confused on some of the horses as well! I missed your earlier numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Leg problems...I think they must be the bane of every horse owner. If only our four legged friends could say "it hurts right THERE".

    I'm still holding out for horse #12.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.