Thursday, October 7, 2010

Dawn Is Off

Dawn came up off yesterday when I rode her - sound at the walk but noticeably off at the trot - I got off and lunged her a few steps to see what was up - it was the right front/left hind pair.  I put her on cross ties and checked her carefully all over with my hands - she reacted strongly - ear pinning - to my touching her left stifle.  The muscles looked a bit cramped there, so I massaged some with my hand and she seemed to appreciate it.  I gave her 1 gram of bute, which she didn't appreciate.

This morning her stifle looked relaxed, but I put her on cross ties again and rechecked her legs with my hands from top to bottom, and picked her hooves carefully again.  There was heat in the back outside area of her right front hoof, and in the pastern area, but no obvious swelling or tenderness.  So who knows what's going on?  When I turned her out, she trotted off (not sound) to the pasture as if nothing were the matter. Dawn, for all her propensity to have accidents, has almost never showed any sign of unsoundness - no lameness, no hoof abscesses, no nothing - so this is a bit concerning.  She'll be getting two days off while I go visit horse #3, and I don't think it's anything all that serious, but I'll be able to tell more when I get back.  She was a racehorse (but had absolutely clean x-rays at age 4 when we got her in 2001) and has jumped and done a lot of hard work with my daughter on hard surfaced trails, and she's been working hard with me - or she could have clipped herself or twisted something in the pasture - who knows?

I'm off this afternoon to make my trip - it's about a 5 1/2 hour drive - to see horse #3.  I'll see him Friday morning after a good night's rest.  The thing I'm wrestling a bit with right now - I'm ashamed to admit this - is that he isn't flashy.  But then, look what buying flashy got me last time - a very beautiful but consistently unsound Maisie.  Some of the best things come in plainer packages (particularly plainer packages with good conformation, soundness and sane minds.) Don't wish me luck, wish me good judgment!  Stay tuned for more on horse #3 when I get back . . .

19 comments:

  1. But you will bring the flash out in him, Kate, if you decide that he's the right horse for you. I think nearly all horses have it in them under the proper care and riding. The dapples emerge, the gaits become floaty. I think you've got the good judgment part nailed, so what really has to be said is, "Good luck to you, Horse #3!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perhaps the problems you were having in your last post with Dawn with the spirals to the right were because of her sore stifle and pastern?I hope #3 is the horse for you, sometimes it is just a joy to get on a horse that is sane and you can just relax and enjoy the wonder of riding without having to worry about all the little things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All the flash may be in his personality. I know what you mean, in fact the fact that Smokey was flashy was a problem with me - was I just finding another pretty face?

    So I wish for you a view of his potential - in terms of what you really want to do. Which is trail riding, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thoroughbreds=divas of the horse world, and I mean that affectionately :). I am glad she has stayed sound for you and your daughter! Sounds like she twisted something, no biggie. It'll go away on its own, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope it turns out to be nothing too serious with Dawn. Poor girl. As for flashy, look at my horse -- amazing animal in a plain brown wrapper. Safe travels and good luck with Horse #3!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope Dawn feels better and I wish you GREAT judgment with horse #3!!! And most importantly: SAFE TRAVELS

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wishing Dawn my best, and hoping you find success with horse #3!!!! I know what you mean about "flash." Who needs flash, though when you have a great, sound, sane, horse?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to hear how it goes with #3!

    Hopefully she just twisted wrong and just has a pulled muscle. It's so hard to tell when it's in the stifle area like that.

    I wish you good luck on both counts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good judgment!!! Looking forward to hearing your analysis of #3. Flashy? It's the chemistry that you and #3 have together that is the magic combo that equals flashy. :-) Safe drive.

    Hope Dawn feels better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I too wish you good judgment! Flash is not what makes a good horse. Hopefully Dawn will be back to herself shortly. Enjoy your jaunt!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pretty is as pretty does. I learned a long time ago that ability, temperament, and personality are far more important than "flash."

    Hope Dawn recovers quickly. As you note, at this point, it could be mostly anything.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hope Dawn resolves soon . Good luck with #3

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope the visit goes well! I hear ya on the flashy-factor... every time I find myself coveting a grey horse I remind myself how much work would go into keeping it clean. And then I remember how good I have it with a plain bay :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's very exciting that you are visiting horse #3 - best of luck. And best of luck with Dawn too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope dawn is okay soon!!
    Good luck with horse #3

    ReplyDelete
  16. I ordered up 'flashy' too and look what I'm dealing with! LOL I would think you could find both... flash and a quality, sound horse, but like Breathe said, the flashy might be all in his personality, and that's worth it too. :)

    Maybe it will work out better this way. You'll be able to look at the horse and decide whether he's right for you without being blinded by his beauty.

    Oh, and I hope Dawn is better when you get back. Hopefully it's nothing. With horses you just never know.

    Have a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Do hope it's just a simple tweak with Dawn, rest is best :)

    Safe journey and hope tomorrow goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hope to hear that Dawn is all straightened out by the time you get back.

    Good luck with your trip and I wish you good judgment and more with this horse. I think he's nice looking and can be very flashy, I think all horses who are properly muscled, fed and trained look perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kate you have great judgement so you just need to remember to use it! I hear you on the flash. When I bought Sky I wrested with the fact that I didn't really like her head. How shallow is that?! All of my hore friends tell me how pretty they think her head is but she has some dark fleabitten areas on her head and it just isn't my look. But now I love her and I don't even notice it any more. In fact today I actually was thinking what a pretty head she has!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.