Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Good News About Dawn

The vet came out this morning to do x-rays on Dawn's front feet and lower legs to see if we could determine what was causing her lameness, or to rule certain things out.  Dawn patiently stood for the full series of x-rays, including having to stand on the little wooden blocks for the shots from the sides and back, and standing with one foot at a time on the flat x-ray holder for the navicular shots.  She was a trooper, standing like a rock despite the other mares still being out in the pasture.

The good news is that nothing of concern showed up on any of the x-rays.  She's got the slightest bit of remodeling at the lateral edge of the pastern joints, but that's not unexpected in a horse of her age and conformation - her front legs aren't perfectly straight from the knee through the pastern and foot - there's a little bit of a twist in there that puts some lateral pressure on her joints and feet.  This structure is why she has a bit of a paddle in her trot.  The minor changes shouldn't be enough to cause her trouble, although they may worsen a bit with age.  Her tendency to really slap her feet down also puts extra wear on her joints.  Other than that minor flaw, all the x-rays looked really good - she's got good clean joint spaces throughout her feet and lower legs, and the navicular bones were smooth and just fine - no roughness that could cause soft tissue problems.

The vet will be sending me the x-rays on disc so I can keep them for reference, and will also send me her list of things to screen for in a drug test on a pre-purchase where I'm concerned drugs might be an issue.  I'll probably have all horses tested for Ace, Banamine and Bute, but will do a more rigorous drug screen if I've got any doubts about the seller.

The vet also repeated the trot-out followed by flexion of the lower right leg joints.  Before flexion, there was only a whisper of unsoundness ever 3 or 4 steps at the trot, and even after flexion the unsoundness was pretty minor.  This is all really good news, and probably means that she just pulled or tweaked a soft tissue structure inside her foot - a tendon or ligament.  Those soft tissues of course don't show up on x-rays, although they do on an MRI, but there's no need for that since she seems to be be recovering well.  The vet said I could ease her back into work.  I'll keep walking her through Saturday, and then she'll get a few days off if I make my horse search trip to Minneapolis.  If she's doing well when I get back, we can try a bit of trot work and see how she does.

Considering that the report from this morning's turnout - the mares went into a new pasture, and there was a large coyote to herd, and there was much galloping, bucking and general cavorting on Dawn's part, none of which made her worse - I'm pretty encouraged!

26 comments:

  1. Yay!! So happy to hear that it's nothing too serious with Dawn!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that report sounds very encouraging. Glad there's nothing seriously wrong. These horses seem to be on a mission to stress us out every chance they get.

    Hope you do get to go on a road trip to see some of your horse picks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good news. Clean x-rays are always a plus.

    Hopefully Dawn will continue to recover and, by the time you get back, be fit and sound enough to keep you amused until you get that new horse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clean x-rays are always a relief. Glad to hear she's making a smooth recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear the good news, I hope she's sound soon.a

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi! Where can I find contact information? I have a question about a potential product review. Mwoodrow@netvantagemarketing.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. woo hoo for clean x-rays! Very good news and hopefully she takes on added work without any issues.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so great! Those leg issues can be so scary. I'm glad to hear she's on the mend :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mallory - I'm sorry - I don't do requested product reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well that's definitely good news! I'm glad to hear everything looks good on the x-rays.

    Sounds like she's feeling ok too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a great report!!!! Hooray for peace of mind.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kate - that's great news about Dawn. One less thing to worry about :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay Dawn! Hey, if you feel comfortable, I'd love to see her x-rays - people usually only post navicular or laminitis xrays, not nice normal ones.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Funder - I'd be glad to as soon as I get the disc.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like good news, but it would have been nice to know what you're dealing with, too. I'd also like to see the x-rays. My previous vet missed a P3 fracture and it was picked up by a 3rd opinion. Rather surprising that it was missed, I must say. I like to show that picture every now and then--it was pretty obvious--and taken the first day of injury--but it presented like a break--so, it was my error, too, for not asking to see the xrays. Back then I trusted other opinions way too much. I guess I'm officially jaded now.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Let's hear it for clear x-rays - Woo! Your horse search looks like it's getting pretty darn far and wide there girl ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's great news! How goes the horse hunt?

    ReplyDelete
  18. That IS great that Dawn shows signs of being in the clear for the most part, and also so great to get a CD image of xray..my vet wont do that...annoying I think.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Perfectly wonderful!
    Oh sigh...nice news about your mare!
    I sure wish you had Thermography there..it truyly is amazing how it fills in the blanks of X rays!
    But the rational thought is doing that, as well.
    Glad she feels so good as to buck around!
    KK

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad to hear it isn't anything serious with Dawn. Glad she feels good enough to be herding wild critters in the pasture!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's great news! I'm so happy for you.
    Can you send some of that my way for Apache, too?

    :)
    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi its really very nice blog,very useful information..Mobiles

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so happy Dawn is recovering from her mysterious injury. :) Good luck with the horse search!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.