Friday, October 29, 2010

It Feels Like It's Almost Christmas . . .

You know that wonderful feeling you had when you were a child at Christmas time - that mix of anticipation and can't-wait-a-minute-longer excitement, when you had to wait for days and then got up really early Christmas morning and had to wait to open your presents?  Well, that's how I am today.  I spent some time this morning being sure that Pie's stall and small grass paddock were all set up - we'll introduce him to the other geldings as soon as he's a bit settled, perhaps as soon as this afternoon or tomorrow morning.

I also will be putting his bridle together - I have a lovely handmade caramel-colored headstall with split reins I bought in Colorado that I used to use on Maisie from time to time but haven't used in a while.  I hung a 78" rain sheet that used to belong to Noble on his stall - maybe it'll even fit him!  (I don't know if he's ever worn a sheet or blanket, so will test that out before flinging one up on him.)  I've made calls to the dentist, farrier and chiropractor - with luck the dentist and farrier will come soon - I'll wait for a chiro visit until the dentist comes, although I'll have her pay a visit anyway if the dentist (I use Mike Fragale and he travels the whole country and is often booked months in advance) can't come right away.  (Our chiro always prefers any necessary dental work to get done first as the alignment of the incisors, the jaw's lateral excursion and the resulting condition of the TMJs affect the rest of the horse profoundly.)  Nothing left to do, so I went home to do some cooking (roasted onions, carrots, parsnips, and a set of rhubarb muffins).

I spoke briefly to the seller to let him know the trailer would be a few minutes late - I had managed to screw up the driving instructions a bit - the trailer was pulling up as I was talking to him.  It was good to talk to him - I'm going to e-mail him pictures of Pie after he gets here - and I was glad to hear the trailer got there OK.

And now there is the waiting . . .  which will seem endless!  The earliest I figure Pie could arrive is about 4 p.m., although it's likely to be a bit later, so I'll be at the barn from before that time on, waiting . . .  just like on Christmas morning!

29 comments:

  1. I can't wait until Pie gets home either. The anticipation is almost unbearable isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I woke up this morning thinking "Pie comes home today!!!" I'm so excited for you, Kate! I can't wait to hear all about him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting!!!! I'm sure Pie will love his new digs and all of the special care you take to make sure your horses are well-cared for and happy! We'll need to see a picture of him in his snazzy bridle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Kate!!! How exciting!!! I would be on pins and needles waiting, that's so hard. Oh, I can't wait to see pictures and hear all about his arrival, so excited for you!!!
    hugs....
    jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. You may not believe this, but I am also really excited in a christmassy kind of way from afar! Can you think of a better present? It really ranks up there with a new child coming home, or the excitement of an impending wedding. So life affirming!! I absolutely cannot wait to see the pictures of Pie in his new home. What will he be thinking? Do you think his owner will miss him?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tapping your toes and pacing yet?
    What fun for you- and I hope he has a safe trip to his new home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kate, I am finally getting a few minutes to do some catch up and Gosh!!! How exciting!!! It is like Christmas morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow--it will be Christmas for him and you! I can't wait to see the pictures of his arrival--I'll be thinking about it today, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So exciting ! Hope the day speeds by for you

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy the warm anticipation, excitement and delight of this day. It's a treasure! What, you're not baking any pie?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am catching up on your blog. Delighted to read you exciting news. Best of luck with Pie, what an exciting journey of discovery you should have together. (I like the cooking too!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. How great -- you set out with a clear vision of the horse that you wanted. You researched and shopped thoroughly. And you found just what you had hoped for - it's inspiring! Pie is going to have a wonderful life with you and I'm sure that his owner is very happy that he is going to such a good home. I'll be thinking of you this afternoon when your new best friend arrives and look forward to pictures of him - Congratulations, Kate, may you and Pie go down many happy trails together!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't wait!!! Looking forward to pictures of you and Pie!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this post! I got vicarious Christmas-morning-butterflies! I am thinking good thoughts for a safe, uneventful journey for Pie and a pleasant, uneventful settling in period. Enjoy the waiting on pins and needles feeling! Not very often that we get to feel that little kid Christmas morning sensation as adults.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is so exciting! I had that exact same feeling when I was waiting to get my little filly, Beamer. Can't wait to see upcoming pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So much BETTER than Christmas! I sure never got the pony I wanted:)

    Have a wonderful day with your new partner!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looking forward to the post! get the horse home so we can have a good look!Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Way better than Christmas! Can't wait to see more pics of your new boy in his new home :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Celebration! You are ready! Come on Pie!!!! Oh happy day.....

    Good things come to those who wait.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooh, it's almost 4pm here. Not much longer now!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hehe, I'm excited for you!!! We'll want lots of pics when he arrives.

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations! You made it to Friday. The anticipation is a killer isn't it. Good luck with Pie!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Are we nearly there yet?!

    Merry Christmas Kate, hope he arrives safe and very well!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yay, Pie should be home by now! Can't wait to see pictures of him! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Eeee really exciting! That is very interesting about the teeth having to be done before the chiropractor... is completely logical though. I can't wait to hear more of Pie!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Getting a new horse is WAY BETTER than Christmas, as I just recently learned!!! So excited for Pie to come home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. How exciting!!!! I know I'm late and you already have him home, but reading this post gives me the Christmas-y feeling and has me excited for you. :) I love happy anticipation!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.