Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Dings and Dents and Pie on the Trail

Several of the geldings came in today with dings and dents - Pie had a new cut on the back of his lower right hind leg, I think from a kick - it looked ugly and bled a lot but he was sound and there wasn't any swelling and it doesn't look that the tendon sheath is affected - and he had at least three new bite marks on his hindquarters.  I dabbed the cut on his leg with Nolvasan and will keep an eye on it.  Fritz came in with two kick marks - one on his throat and one on his upper front leg - and several bite marks.  There's clearly some aggressive stuff going on in the gelding herd, but I haven't actually observed it, except for Scout chasing people around the round bale.  Old Fred stays out of trouble, which is a good thing, and I hope Pie learns to - he seems pretty submissive in his interactions with the other horses.

I'd hoped to do some trot work with Pie, but decided we would just walk today due to his cut.  My husband happened by the barn as we were saddling up, and he was going on a walk, so we decided to walk with him - we did a bit over a mile.  This was Pie's first (almost) solo outing on the trails for any distance, so it was nice to have my husband along.  Pie looked at things, never spooked and walked along nicely.  There were some osage oranges that had fallen to the ground, and he was very interested in these - I let him investigate them. When we were near the barn, he was looking for the other horses, but he didn't call and was very well-behaved.  He's shaping up to be an outstanding trail horse - it's hard to believe he's only been at with me for five days and four rides - I feel very fortunate to have him. My husband got this photo of our outing:


I ordered my leather nose sidepull and reins today from Buckeroo Leather, and I must say my experience with them was very positive.  I had trouble ordering from their website, so I called them and they took my order.  I got a call back from the manager and also a confirming e-mail, with apologies for the trouble and assurances that they would check to see I wasn't double charged.

Dawn and I also got in a quick work session today - more cone patterns - I moved them so things would be a bit different.  She was lovely and soft and very responsive, a very good Dawn mare!

It was beautiful today - in the 50sF with some wind - pretty nice for November in this part of the world.  We're supposed to be much colder with some wind and possibly rain tomorrow, so I'm glad I rode today. (I also added yesterday's post to the sidebar "Steps on the Journey", which seemed appropriate.)  And I ordered a farrier's rasp so I can learn to touch up Pie's feet between trims - he's already getting better about picking them up for me - see Mrs. Mom's recent post which was my inspiration.

20 comments:

  1. All good , and how sweet is your hubby! going along with you and taking pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah ha! So gelding DO get into fights! (Sorry, still trying to stick up for mares...)

    I'm so glad you're having fun with Pie. Sounds like he's going to be a great horse for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you guys are MY inspiration:) I'm going to remember you and your brand new 4 year old when I take Miles out on the trail. What a gem you found!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a lovely ride for so early in your relationship. It just goes to show you that all your careful research into prospects was totally worth it. Sounds like you got a great partner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pie is certainly turning out to be a wonderful horse all around. I hope he stops getting kicked in turnout. We have that sometimes too.

    Glad you got to work Dawn too, she won't have any reason to be jealous. Hope the weather holds out so you can have lots more rides and training sessions with both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor Pie! It's tough being the new kid. He's a good boy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boy herd dynamics are rough, especially when you're four. Smokey got a horrible leg injury when he went in a herd of geldings. He had to be off training for months. Still has quite a scar.

    Glad you and Pie are making your way through together. He seems so solid!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It certainly seems like you have found a really special horse in Pie. So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really enjoying your posts about Pie. What a good boy he is! And beautiful too. I love the photo of the two of you riding in the pretty autumn landscape. And I'm jealous of your order with Buckaroo Leather! I loved the gear I saw Mark Rashid using on his horse. Can't remember if it was a side-pull or a loping hackamore, but I want one someday...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how you called them "people" when you were talking about Scout chasing them around the round bale.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Usually, the boys settle down, but sometimes it takes a bit of "discussion" on their part to establish the pecking order.

    That trail is beautiful. No wonder you wanted a good trail horse to share it with you. Pie is a gem...

    I am so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anytime a new horse enters the old social order, theres trouble, but sounds like its superficial. You and the horse, doing very well!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so pleased for you that Pie is turning out to be a bit of a superstar. Lets hope the boys sort themselves out in the paddock. Those dents and dings sound like trouble. How nice to have your hubby out on the trail. Does he ride ?

    ReplyDelete
  14. These dents and dings are normal in our pasture and I am not sure it is exactly aggressive. I have never seen anything like it before, always having mares. Geldings are SO playful in the pasture that the cuts and kicks keep coming and neither horse is angry - just rough!
    Your photo of you two on the trail is idyllic and drew me in immediately. To learn that your husband joined you for your ride is even better! What a great fall day for you guys. Those osage oranges look like they are from another planet, I think! We have them here on our Appalachian Trail.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Little Pie, he certainly sounds like a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sally - no, my husband doesn't ride (well, maybe a few times at a dude ranch in Arizona) but has always been a good sport about all things horse-related, and he seems to really like Pie.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Always a little unsettling when a new her member arrives. Rough-housing, whether we see it or not, is usually bluster and hopefully they'll establish themselves soon.

    Another great day with both horses, thrilled for you that Pie is everything you wanted!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have the Buckeroo lined split reins and I love them. I'll be interested to know how Pie does in the sidepull. I hope that all the herd dynamics settle down quickly. Sounds like Pie has found a buddy in Scout. The photo that your husband took of you and Pie is lovely. You look great together. Reading about how you are getting to know each other is so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wish I knew how to rasp horse hooves. It would come in handy for those pre-ride touch ups. I love that photo on your post. Beautiful. Makes me wish I were on a horse right now.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.