Saturday, November 20, 2010

Frosty Morning RIde

This morning, Pie and I had a wonderful ride.  It's a beautiful day, sunny with a bit of wind.  By the time I got back home, the temperature had risen to 35F but the windchill was still about 30.  It's a beautiful late fall day in our part of the country.  Pie and I were out for over an hour by ourselves, mostly walking but with some spots of trotting away from home.  After Pie "unstuck" on the first loop away from home, he was great, and he relaxed a bit on several occasions, including on the last approach to home - the head came down and his walk was nicely forward but not rushing.  Good Pie!

I've got a number of things to try on the hock sore.  So far the score is hock sore 1 - Dr. Scholl's Bunion Pad 0.  The bunion pad looked good - it had a recessed area in the middle and adhesive around the edge, and nice padding, but I think it was a tad too small and it didn't stay on overnight.  Tonight I have a square bandage that claims to have super-stick adhesive around the edge - we'll see.  I may end up with the hock boots after all, although I'm reluctant to get them as most people seem to find them not well made or fitting.

I did manage to fix the too-short jowl strap on the sidepull.  I took an old leather curb strap I wasn't using and cut off about three inches from the buckle end, then tapered the end and punched holes in the strap.  Voila!  An extender for the jowl strap.  I'm delighted with how responsive Pie is in the sidepull - I barely have to lift a rein and he's right on whatever I'm asking.  He seems to like it, and so do I.

12 comments:

  1. sounds like a lovely day and ride. are you wanting to cover the sore? You could just put a dry telfa on for padding and figure 8 a bangage over it . or there is a product called Hypafix (human bandaging super sticky and you can wrap it an it wil stick to itself as well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you Kate :) I wish we could trail ride our guys together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elastikon is about the only thing I've found that will keep any kind of a hock bandage in place. I've tried just about everything I could find in the first aid sections of the stores, but nothing seemed to work. Elastikon is expensive, but works great. Sometimes you can get a great deal on it on ebay, otherwise you can get it through a vet or most catelogs carry it. I'm never without it in my furkids first aid supplies. It makes bandaging hocks and knees, pasterns and fetlocks SO much easier. Good luck with the hock sores.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll echo what Dun Got Class said about Elastikon. It just works.

    Glad you had a good, albeit chilly ride.

    ReplyDelete
  5. glad to hear you and Pie got out for a ride and had such a nice time.He really is a gem. Hope you find something that works for the hock sores.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much for the bunion pads....have you added the diapers to your list? That and Elastikon might work.

    The ride sounds lovely, again. I think they have cut the cornfields so I need to take Chance out there for a bit. The wind seemed to have finally died down here, so I am about to go out. You have inspired me. *G*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a nice ride! It's blustery cold here, and spitting snow, so I've been working in the barn--I envy you.
    Glad to hear Pie likes the sidepull. Maybe I'll have to try one.
    I'll second (or third?) the vote for Elasticon--just watch out: it's sooo sticky it will sometimes pull the hair out when you remove it, so you wouldn't want to be changing it too often.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great ride, even though it was a little chilly, sounds like the weather we are having here! I froze today at work.
    Sounds like Pie is coming along nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. yeah!!! great ride!

    Hope the hock heals up quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such progress. You have yourself one great pony!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Years ago one of my friends had a horse that always seemed to have hock sores. She drove herself nuts trying to get rid of them, hock boots, super deep bedding, etc. After about a year she finally just turned her horse out 24/7 and they went away. I realize this isn't an option for you by the way but it was what finally worked for her. It really drove her crazy having those hock sores on her horse because she felt like people would think she was providing inadequate care, bedding, etc. even though that was not the case.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like the side pull is just the thing for him. Glad you had a great ride.

    WOTD- elike

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.