Monday, November 29, 2010

Glad We Rode

Pie and I had a lovely trail ride today with Jill and Scout - it was in the 40sF with some wind and pretty nice all and all.  We did a lot of trotting, some with Pie in the lead and some with Scout in the lead - Pie is pretty glad to follow if allowed and takes some urging to take the lead.

The weather was starting to take a turn towards misty and drizzly at noon, and the wind was really starting to pick up, so I went by the barn to put on Pie's and Dawn's rain sheets.  I got Dawn first, and as I was leading her to the gate, the other mares came galloping up and set Dawn off.  She wanted to bolt and run, but I strongly asked her to stay with me and she did.  Despite the fact that she wanted to bolt, and did at least one enormous rear on the lead, she stayed out of my space although I did have to be pretty firm with her.  I took her in the barn to get her sheet on - she was very good for that and leading out - when I let her go she explosively galloped off with high bucks, and then did some more spectacular rearing once she got to the shared fenceline with the geldings.  I've never managed to get one of her rears on camera but they're certainly impressive.

I also learned that Pie doesn't pull back when tied - I had him tied to the fence in the geldings' pasture while I was putting on his sheet - one of the barn cats (Night, the black cat) was stalking and pouncing in the grass and spooked Pie - he went to the end of the lead but didn't pull back when he reached it - good Pie.  He trotted off when I let him go - all the horses were excited by the change in the weather.

We're supposed to have rain tonight and tomorrow morning, then snow showers tomorrow afternoon and much colder temperatures for Wednesday.  Glad Pie and I got that ride in!

17 comments:

  1. He has been taught well!! I'm glad Dawn stayed out of your space could be very dangerous.

    Hopefully the weather doesn't get too horrid for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you. Winter is definitely here for us as well which means cold, windy days.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are always one day ahead of our weather.

    Sounds like Pie is really getting used to things over there. You know your horses well. That Dawn is full of beans!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you sure are making the best of your time with him ! its clear that you picked a winner with Pie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate, glad you had a good ride. I got to work with Gilly today on the long lines. I would have liked to ride but he needs ground work more right now.
    Glad Dawn was good and didn't hurt you; Pie, is a good boy. Hope you get some more good days to ride before winter sets in for good. I keep hoping that we too have a few more good days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you got a ride in before the bad weather hits! Pie sounds like a really wonderful guy, the more I read about him. He just seeems to be so agreeable and easy to work with. A pleasure to have around!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My son and I had to get a ride in before the weather too... and my mare was good as Pie. (heeheehee)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kate, It sounds like Pie is doing really well on the trail! And the adjustments to Dawn's saddle are working for her as well. Good sessions with both! (And I look forward to reading your other blogs as well- they sound really interesting.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent! There has been many of us "Stealing the days back from winter"-to ride!

    So glad you got that neat ride in Kate!Glad Pie is so good in the back.
    You found out one more beautiful thing too- about Pies temperment and brain under diress..he kept his cool.
    Is that Dawn leading the brigade run?!! She's hilarious!

    You mentioned Dawn's fabulous rearing in a post ere now. I have only been able to catch one on film, as Wa mare LOVES to do this as well. It was from the summer, and she looks to come down on top of me...that's the zoom for you.

    Hope it's mild and not too cold a storm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This weather sure can get in the road of us having fun, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love a horse with an ability to not freak out. I swear, that's probably the main reason Smokey didn't break his leg on that stupid hay bag.

    Pie has a great foundation you're building on. Glad to hear you got that ride in!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good Pie! Glad you got that ride in with friends. It's nice for you and nice for him.

    Horses well trained to tie are such a blessing. Sounds as if Pie had a good start in life as far as the basics go.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pie is one sensible boy - trotting with Scout and also when being frightened by naughty Night. Glad you got your ride in before the rain/snow.

    ReplyDelete
  14. It hasn't happened to me often, but being on the end of a lead rope with a rearing horse is one sure way to get my heart thumping. I'm glad that Dawn didn't come down on you. Pie, on the other hand, sounds like he's a very well-adjusted guy. I'm so glad that he's enjoying your trail rides more.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whew, you sure are a brave gal. Having a horse rearing beside me or trying to disrespectfully bolt while being led would probably give me a hard attack. I'm glad that Dawn seems to respect your space, but still, be careful. (thump, thump! That's my heart beating wildly)

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was nervous for you when I read about Dawn rearing while you were leading her! Rearing is so dangerous for the human involved whether it happens on the ground or undersaddle. My thought as I was reading was it must have turned out ok or otherwise you wouldn't be putting up a new blog!

    It sure sounds like Pie had a great start in life and you have an excellent foundation to build on with him. You really found a GREAT horse for you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love those two words you use so often: Good Pie!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.