Monday, November 1, 2010

Pie Goes Solo and Dawn Feels Good

I worked with both horses today, and both rides were excellent.  Now that it's November, I'm trying not to let any good weather riding day get away from me, since it won't be long until the late fall/winter weather closes in.  Today was beautiful - sunny, low 50s, not as much wind as Sunday - almost a perfect late fall riding day.

I tied Pie and groomed and tacked him.  When I got him out of the pasture, I found he had a gash on the inside of his upper right leg - about 5 inches long and bleeding some.  It looks like someone kicked him - I have my suspicions about who it was (Scout, I'm thinking of you!).  The wound was more than superficial but not bad enough to require stitches, and he was walking sound and seemed unbothered.  I put some Nolvasan antiseptic ointment on it and later some Swat to keep the insects at bay (we seem to still have some insects - I guess the frost we had wasn't cold enough).  He was easy to catch - this issue has completely gone away, and our p.m. barn lady commented this evening that she also caught him easily. I've been working with him on picking up and holding up his feet, and he's doing much better - I do this at least 2x per day and I think within a couple of days he'll be just fine about it.

Today I rode him in my Rodrigo close contact saddle which seems to fit him pretty well (it was Maisie's saddle and he's got the same withers and back angle she had, although he's a bit narrower in the the barrel).  We experimented with some bits - first I tried him in the Rockin S snaffle - he didn't seem to like it much.  Then we tried the Mylar ported D (without hooks) - that seemed to suit him better which made sense due to his large tongue.  I also think bitting will be somewhat of an issue with him until he gets his teeth done (remind self to call dentist again).

All the other horses were still out in the pasture when we rode.  We went on a couple of short trail rides - this is the first time I've taken him out on his own.  We went several hundred yards around the pastures, including passing the gelding herd.  He was great and willing to do what I asked.  Then we went on another short loop toward the farm and up the hill behind it and back down - he goes uphill and downhill using himself very well and evenly.  No problems.  Although he was very alert and interested in everything, he remained calm and walked on a loose rein both going and coming.  He only called once when we were near the barn. We'll take a somewhat longer ride tomorrow I think.

Then we worked in the arena a bit.  I had done some preliminary softening work - backing in hand with the bridle - before getting on.  I always like to do this first in-hand with a horse I don't know well to be sure there aren't any major issues and to make sure the horse knows what I want before I get on and try it from the saddle.  He picked it up pretty quickly, although I had to adjust my hands to a wider position so he didn't misinterpret my ask as a request for a lateral movement.  Then we trotted a few circles and serpentines on a loose rein - he neck-reins well - I didn't want to do more because of his cut.

Then I got Dawn out and rode her - this time bareback.  I've given up for the moment on saddles - I can pad up the dressage saddle with washclothes and other improvisations so it basically fits, but then I feel like I'm perched way above her and that doesn't feel right and affects my hand position too - I have to hold my hands too low to maintain a proper contact.  She's significantly downhill and that makes every saddle I've tried a non-starter.  I'm going to visit some saddle shops and see if there's anything that might work, and will also work on her measurements in case I go with a custom Black Rhino.

Dawn was fuzzy and warm, which was pleasant to ride.  She was very alert and forward - we worked some in the arena and around the barn.  We did a fair amount of trot work in short bursts so she didn't build momentum.  She was very cooperative, although reactive if I so much as touched her sides with my legs.  It was a day to ride with thoughts only - Dawn has been a good teacher for me on this.  I'm fortunate that Pie is also very sensitive - no dullness has been trained in - although he's not reactive like Dawn, just responsive.

A lovely horse day to start out November!

20 comments:

  1. It all sounds good. Sorry to hear Pie got a cut but it doesn't seem to affect his good behavior. A good way to start November, I'm hoping for a warm winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you made the right choice with Pie. Don't forget to try a Mattes pad with Dawn...it may be just what you need to even her out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's going to go far with you =) Glad Dawn is feeling better. I believe there is nothing like riding bareback on a winter coated horse!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Atta boy Pie! He sounds like the perfect match.

    MORE PICTURES!!!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate, What great sessions you are having with Pie! He seems like a very well trained young horse, and very responsive to your training as well. Sorry to hear about the cut on his leg. Dawn did so well today! Great work with both horses!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a lovely day, both horse- and weather-wise! I'm envious: I had to be at school all day (but it rained much of the afternoon, so maybe I don't feel quite so bad).
    Sounds like great progress with both of your equine friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds to me like Pie completes your life (for the moment, at least). Keep it up and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's pretty amazing that being new to you like that, and young, he walks away and back from the barn on a loose rein. That speaks volumes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't believe you got this horse on Friday and are doing so much with him (and HE is doing so well!). And. He's. FOUR.

    You two are on the SuperFastTrack to do absolutely anything you want with him:)

    Of course, I also think horses are very intuitive...he may very well know he's hit the "horse lottery" and figures he owes you, big time:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A perfect day! I second the call for more pictures of Pie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Too bad Pie got cut already, but it sounds managable.Sounds like a good ride on both

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's so great that you are having some decent weather to enjoy Pie before the cold sets in. He is a lucky guy to have an owner as kind and skilled as you. It sounds like he fits in "as easy as Pie".

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a good post! Pie certainly does have a good attitude. As much time as you can spend looking at horses by photographs, until you meet them in person, you never really know the good ones. Seems to me you found one.

    And Dawn is doing you proud as well. Maybe some of Pie is rubbing off on her too. Seems as if riding the two of them is giving you some good vibes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love hearing how well everything is going with Pie! He's such a super guy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great updates on your rides with Pie and Dawn! Glad to hear that the new guy is working out so well!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nicely done Pie! I'm glad his cut wasn't too bad. I guess they are inevitable when you introduce a new horse to the heard, but I'm sure he will be fine. Sounds like you have a great day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aw, Pie sounds like SUCH a good boy! So glad things are going so well with him. And that fuzzy bareback ride sounds so nice... makes me wish I had done that once before body clipping my boy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are having soem great time with Pie and with Dawn. I love reading about Pie's integration because that is soemthing about horses that I find very intimidating--how they can interact with each other. I have seen my share of squealing horses! I know it is normal and they will work it all out themselves but still, it can get very impressive--all that horse weight being thrown around. I also think it is delightful that Pie is starting off so well on the trail. For me, that's mostly why I have a horse--for trail riding. It's so valuable (more than non-horse types will ever know) to have a reliable partner while out in the woods or far away from home.
    I am so into your entries about Pie and Dawn--it is like a novel! Robert Louis Stevenson, move the heck over!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A lovely horse day in November indeed! You are making me a little envious, but happy for you, too.

    Enjoy!
    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.