Friday, November 5, 2010

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

I just got home from the barn - it's about 38F with wind gusts to 16mph, so the windchill's about 33F.  But I probably won't get to ride tomorrow due to other commitments, so I was determined to ride Pie.  And the sun was shining through the broken clouds, and the grasses were waving, and it's going to be a lot colder pretty soon . . .

Since Pie arrived less than a week ago, the weather's mostly cooperated and we've gotten in 6 work sessions.  A ground session on leading, doing head-down and backing softly just with a halter and lead and just standing around (Saturday), a two-hour trail ride with Scout and Sugar (Sunday), some very short solo trail excursions and a little arena work as well as some tying while I rode Dawn (Monday), another long trail ride with Scout, Sugar and Charisma, including lots of trotting and groups dividing in two (Tuesday),  a long walking trail ride with my husband (no other horses) (Wednesday), no riding Thursday and then today's ride.  The whole week, I've been working with him on picking up his feet, and he's improving every day.

Today's conditions weren't ideal for taking a young horse in a new place on his first long solo trail ride, but I said what the hell and did it anyway.  Was he bad?  No.  Was he good?  No . . .  He was GREAT! It's been many years since I've had such a fun trail ride - I had a goofy grin on my face the whole time when I wasn't laughing out loud and telling him what a wonderful horse he was.

We did two big loops - one was at least a mile and the other one a bit less, passing by the barn in the middle of the ride.  What can I say?  He went willingly everywhere I pointed him, ears pricked, without balking, weaving, hesitating or trying to turn back.  He didn't call to the other horses once.  He trotted - a nice medium jog - whenever I asked, and didn't rush, root or pull - my reins were loose throughout the ride.  He stopped and admired the view with me a couple of times.  On the first loop he was looking for the other horses on the way back to the barn but didn't jig or do anything but respond when I asked him to slow his walk.  He gladly headed back out on the second loop, leaving the barn behind.  As we started away from the barn, he had to pass close by the Scary Green Trashcans of Doom at the end of a driveway, one of which had its lid open and flapping/banging in the wind.  He hesitated for a moment but moved right by when I chirped, keeping an ear on the cans - we had to pass within a foot or two of them due to the trail layout.

And you know what the strangest thing was - the only time I got the "Pie face" was on the last stretch approaching the barn at the very end of our ride.  On the second loop, every time we came to a fork in the trail, he wanted to take the path that led farther away from home . . . he was clearly happy to be out, enjoying himself and wanted to go further . . .

I am almost beside myself with delight.  Will we have our issues and things to work on?  Sure, every horse and rider combo does.  But it's pretty clear after just a week that I've got myself one fine horse!

31 comments:

  1. Oh I love this post! You made my day Kate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeay!! I am so happy for you & Pie. You two are going to have an absolutely wonderful time together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo-Hoo! I can just imagine that silly grin!
    I'm thinking that, coming from Montana, two "big loops" of a mile or less seem like a stroll in the park for Pie. Maybe he's looking for some *real* trails! Mountains and buttes and rivers to cross! (But no lions or tigers or bears, please...) By next spring, the whole state of Illinois won't be big enough to keep you two in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you had a really fun ride. It sounds like Pie enjoyed himself too :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, that is so great!! It sounds like you got a good one there. And you're really going to town on him, getting all that riding in! I feel like a slacker!! LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow-I stumbled across your blo via skoog farm and am so enjoying your stories about Pie!! Riding is not even on the horizon for my herd of 8 rescued little monsters-it is fun reading about your joy riding pie and the rest of your buddies. Thanks for bringing a smile to my world!
    Sue and the crew
    Dream Valley Ranch

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sue - thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just reading your post had me smiling. Isn't it the best feeling in the world? I can relate to the feeling of having a young horse and having them make you happy. You did an excellent job of picking him and the fact that he's like this as a 4 year old is incredible. Congratulations and keep the buzz going!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always try to quit winners when I am riding my horse, but I love it MOST of all when we START "winners," and it sounds like that was your ride today. Pie sounds like a very sensible fellow and he also counds willing and anxious to please. All good qualities!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pie sounds absolutely fantastic!! What an awesome horse you found!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How wonderful!! A one horse trail ride on a windy, cold day with a willing, happy, and sensible horse! What could be more perfect...except a trail ride on a sunny, cool day.

    I am happy as I can be to hear of Pie's potential perfection! *G*

    ReplyDelete
  12. So here I sit freezing my bum off in an ice rink waiting for my son's hockey practice to end.

    SMILING while I read this post. I'm SOOOO happy for you Kate. You found EXACTLY what you were looking for in a horse, a companion. He's so young too which means he's only GOING TO GET BETTER!!!

    If I could hug you right now I would I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay! Rides like that are just so amazing. I am so, so glad that you got to experience this with pie :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd say that's a pretty good start for the first week! I'm happy for you that you picked Pie and he's turning out to be the perfect companion for you. It only gets better and better from here. He's so sensible and willing and smart, this is one reason why I love Quarter Horses. The ones we've had have always been fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I gotta say it "easy as Pie!!"Wonderful ,and I love the header shot

    ReplyDelete
  16. My goodness, how fantastic. So happy for the 2 of you:)

    If that cowboy that raised him has anymore horses he trained for sale, you be sure and let us know:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah!!! :-D :-D :-D

    That is the kind of post that I love to read! So glad Pie is a star after only a week. Imagine what you guys will be doing next spring!!!???

    :-D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sweetie Pie! A match made in heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so happy for you, yet so jealous at the same time! ;)
    Love,
    MunciEquestrian

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing! So glad you and Pie are loving life together :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I was thinking the same thing Miles on Miles said! If Pie's previous owner decides to buy another young horse, train it and sell it I think we'll all be lining up to purchase!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Let me just join in with all the cheers! You have one great horse there and you are a fabulous horse person - talented enough and kind enough to appreciate what you have! Well done both of you - and well done Pie's trainer who taught Pie to trust and be willing. I love this post, Kate. Who cares about winter - you can ride through it on your sweet boy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm just wondering how you were able to spell THAT word correctly. lol!

    No really....I'm really very happy for you and Pie. I could use a ride like that soon. I've been getting down with having a lame horse and not being able to go on any trail rides since July 4th.
    I hope you don't mind, but I'll just live happily through yours and Pie's rides and imagine how wonderful they must be :)

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm not too sure you're going to have issues. lol. Maybe he is the PERFECT horse!! Sure sounds like it. I think you're the luckiest person in the world--have fun on the trail!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You have your Pie in the sky!
    And, you had me at ,"what the hell"!!!
    Too great...the "no turning towards home Pie face".
    Laughter is good medicine..and you got good doses!
    "*"
    KK

    ReplyDelete
  26. And who could ask for anything more than a fine horse? Congratulations - Woo! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lisa - I looked it up on line and copied it into the title box!

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a wonderful partnership you too are starting together! so glad that he has turned out to be everything you wanted and more.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Some horses just relish the trail. Lily is like that - I think once she's sound she'll be making a pie face too - if she isn't taken out! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  30. Awww that sounds so fantastic! I'm glad he's turning out so well for you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.