Friday, December 10, 2010

Dawn Is Healing and Pie and I Have a Nice Ride

I think the cut on Dawn's tongue is healing up well - she had her last dose of antibiotics and Banamine tonight.  She's eating well and seems pretty comfortable.  The vet said it could take up to two weeks to heal.  I've started her on some probiotics to replace some of the intestinal flora that may have been killed off by the antibiotics.  She's been off her Mare Magic since Monday (it's got bits of raspberry leaves and stems in it and I was concerned that the bits would irritate her tongue wound), and perhaps it's just coincidence, but she's in heat tonight - and not just a normal heat - in raging heat.  In Dawn's case this involves plastering her hindquarters to any solid or semi-solid object - fence, side of the aisle, etc. and lots of peeing, kicking the wall and squealing, with the whites of her eyes showing.  She hasn't had a heat like this since she went on Mare Magic.  So, she's back on it as of tonight.  I'm not working with her while she's like this, and I'll need to be careful in her stall and when picking her feet, since she's may be too distracted to pay attention to where I am.

Pie and I had a very nice trail ride today with Charisma and her owner.  The weather today was really beautiful for December - about 35F with only a little bit of wind, sunny and with a couple of inches of snow still on the ground and no ice underneath - just about perfect winter riding weather.  I rode Pie in the sidepull - he goes very well in it and I may just keep riding him on the trail in it.  We were out for over an hour, and Pie was very well behaved.  We did quite a bit of trotting to catch up with Charisma's long stride at the walk.  He's careful about his footing, which I like, watching for holes, culverts, drop-offs and icy patches under the snow.  As we were heading back to the barn, Charisma was wanting to speed up too much and fretful because she couldn't - lots of bit-chomping and even a few half-hearted small leaps forward, so we put Charima behind Pie to help slow her down.  Pie even took it upon himself to "herd" her - as he was walking he would turn diagonally across the trail and block her path when she was trying to pass him.  If she switched sides of the trail, he would switch sides as well to stay in front of her - I didn't have to direct him to do any of this - Charisma's owner found this very helpful and Charisma calmed down a bit and stopped champing on the bit.  From time to time he would turn his head and look at her, as if to keep an eye on what she was up to.  I'd love to have him do some proper cow work - I think he would be very good at it, partly due to his experience and partly because of his intelligence and willingness to step up and do a job that needs doing.  Good Pie!

The weather's going to start deteriorating tomorrow - we're supposed to have cold driving rain (temperatures just above freezing) tomorrow afternoon, with rapidly falling temperatures, sleet and then snow.  Then it gets even better - an arctic blast, with wind chills of 20 below zero F expected by Monday morning.  I think the horses may have to come in early tomorrow - we have no shelters in the pastures - and may be inside for most of Monday and Tuesday.  At least we got today!

19 comments:

  1. Glad you got a good ride in! My daughter has always wanted to try working cows with the pony - he has a natural affinity for herding miniature donkeys... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you got your ride in before the storm this weekend. Even Cincinnati is supposed to get accumulation of ice and snow from this one. I can't believe it ~ we normally don't go below 40 until January and we've got thin ice on the ponds!

    Did you ever figure out what Dawn did to cut her tongue?

    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have a place you could do cow work around there? I used to team pen with mine and it was a blast! We weren't any good, but we sure had fun trying to get them in the pen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Pie! There's lots of brains behind that roman nose of his! I bet he'd be a darn good penning horse; if you get a chance to try it, I bet you'd have a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good Pie...lucky Kate, to have such a great horse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad they're both doing well :) It's so cute that Pie took it upon himself to babysit Charisma.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's cute-funny how many of your posts lately include the words "Good Pie!" What a good guy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, that proves what a brilliant boy Pie is! And he's only four himself. Imagine what a wonder he'll be when he grows up! *G*

    Sounds as if he would be great working cows. Penning has always sounded like a lot of fun. They used to do it around here and probably still do somewhere. I bet on Pie all you'd have to do is sit there, hold the saddle horn, and let him do all the work. And he'd have a grand time.

    Good Pie, indeed. I'd say it's another day, "Starring Pie, the Wonder Horse." *G*

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a good boy, Pie! I usually try and find a horse like Pie when I'm trail riding Lilly. Otherwise she wants to walk 100 miles per hour down the trail.

    I'm glad you got in a good ride before the weather turns ugly. -20 degree windchills do not sound like fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pie sounds like a truly wonderful horse! That is just amazing. Hope Dawn calms down for you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lots going on for you these days! Glad Dawn is on the mend and even more glad thet you got that wonderful Pie horse , what a good fellow!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tonka likes to block other horses on the trail too. I always thought it was a competitive thing, but I'll have to pay better attention to which horses he does it to.

    About the mare magic, that's good to know that it works so well! Sorry she's being so "marish." I hope it passes quickly, it sounds dangerous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh how fantastic to hear Pie is going so well. Gosh it sure sounds cold up your way......hope the cold doesn't make dealing with the horses too hard. Hi to Jill

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was thinking about you and Dawn yesterday and I just have to say that you really were impressive when she was bleeding from the mouth. If either of my horses started doing that, I would have been so frightened. And thanks for explaining it so well. If it ever happens, I'll know not to assume the worst. Rinsing her mouth with Listerine also gets a gold star - I know neither of my girls would be happy about having to do that. So, I'm really glad that she's doing better.
    And I love your description of Pie herding the other horse on the trail. What a smart fellow! You chose wisely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jeni - I'm still not sure what Dawn did to cut her tongue - but there are some splintery top boards near the gate where all the blood was - she likes to bite the boards and the posts and will actually bite pieces off - I suspect she got a long splinter and it cut her tongue - ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Pie sounds like a little smarty bum! It is great that you have still been able to do so much riding even with your weather! Sounds like Pie was a very good choice!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Here's hoping the Mare Magic works quickly. She sounds like a different mare without it. Glad her tongue is healing.

    Pie was really cute on the trail. I get such a kick out of horses with personalities like his. Good you got a ride in before the weather hits. We're in for mostly the same, except for the freezing temps. Keep warm.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am glad that Dawn is healing. I hope there won't be any further incidents with her tongue and everything will heal nicely. At least in the winter the weather keeps wounds clean-- but with an injury in the mouth, that doesn't even matter! Good idea on the probiotics. Antibiotics are GREAT but wouldn't you know one great thing always has to have a polarity happening at the same time.
    Do you have bad weather? I hear the midwest has been hit with a ton of snow!
    Glad your ride with Pie went well. He is such a good doobie.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.