Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A Little Warmer and Some Visitors

This morning, the temperature was 7F and the wind chill was -7F when the horses went out.  Dawn managed OK with an extra layer - I put on her polarfleece cooler under her extra heavy Rambo turnout blanket.  When I went by to check on the horses mid-morning, Dawn was nestled in the hay on the protected side of the round bale having the first of her daily naps.  Pie, of course, could have cared less about the cold - he says this is nowhere near as cold as he's experienced in Montana and Minnesota.  When I let him go at the gate, he heads straight for the round bale and pretty much stays there eating all day, except for forays to the water trough and occasional moments of play with Scout.

Tonight Pie gets to start wearing his Hock Shield.  We'll see how that goes, and I'll report the results.

* * * * * *
We put black oil sunflowers out on the ground for the birds, just behind the house.  We've been having some extra visitors lately - they also drink out of the bird bath.  I think they're a family - there's a stag:


A doe:


And a yearling (doe I believe):


We don't have that many deer around here since we have only a few wooded areas.  These deer look very healthy and in good weight.  They also seem to enjoy sunflower seeds!

14 comments:

  1. Nice whitetail buck! Boyfriend woulda shot him, we have one about his size on the wall right now....lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice deer. I have come to hate deer this year. Never in my life have I had so many damn deer hop up from sleeping in the fields and scare the living daylights out of my horse than I have this year. We also have a "black" or melanistic deer that I have seen a handful of times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some strange looking "birds" at your bird feeder. Once again, nature takes advantage of human kindness. I haven't seen any deer on my land since I brought the horses here. They used to come all the time to eat the apples. You have a pretty family of them there.

    Dawn's nap sounds so cute. I guess she felt nice and warm in her polarfleece "snuggy."

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is one lucky buck to make it through hunting season with a rack like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad Pie and Dawn are enjoying the round bale - Dawn for sleeping, Pie for eating!
    Thanks for the photos of the deer. How wonderful!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Boy Kate...what the heck is with this "fall" weather. We have really been dumped on. It may get up to the high 20s by the end of the week.

    Dawn and Pie seem to be having their needs met...so does the deer family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Check out those antlers...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful buck.
    We've been very lucky with the weather so far, but when it gets bitter-cold, I like to layer too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's cold here too and snowing on and off. Not as cold as you though. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow look at that buck!!!! He'd be tasty!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great photos! The few deer we see here are not that well fed -

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think single digit temps are the good lords way of saying MOVE! LOL

    We feed quite a few deer out here, but I've never seen a family unit like that. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.