Monday, December 6, 2010

The Scene of the Crime and Dawn Update

As Amy, our p.m. barn lady, put in the comments to the last post, my internet was down all night so I couldn't update about Dawn.  As she said in the comments, the bleeding had stopped when I checked Dawn's mouth at 8 p.m.  She had rinsed her mouth out using her partly iced-up unheated bucket - there was blood in the water - she usually only drinks out of her heated bucket so maybe the cold felt good.  She had smeared blood all over the walls of her stall, rubbing her muzzle to get rid of the blood. At 10 p.m. I went back and offered her a bit of hay - she was very glad to have it although eating was clearly somewhat uncomfortable - she was twisting her head from side to side and thinking about it very hard, and making an unusual grinding noise as she chewed.  But the hay was going in, and chewing didn't start the bleeding again, so I gave her the rest of her evening hay - she was very happy about that.  Although she was uncomfortable, she clearly wasn't in distress.

This morning she had eaten every shred of her hay, and was happy for more.  Even though I soaked her pellets, she really couldn't eat them and showed her frustration, or perhaps pain, by running her front teeth up and down the wall, so I took the pellets away.  She let me look at the front of her mouth, and also showed no sensitivity whatsoever to my poking and prodding the outside of her mouth and along her jaws.  She was not quite as "bright" as she usually is - perhaps a little depressed because of the discomfort - but the hay is going in the front end and the manure is coming out the back end, which is the most important thing.

I spoke to our dentist Mike Fragale this morning by phone, and he suggested having the vet out to determine what's going on - if it is a dental rather than a soft tissue problem he may be able to come and deal with it.  So the vet is scheduled for noon time today - she'll sedate Dawn and have a look see.

This morning I investigated the scene of the crime (so to speak).  As our barn lady had said, there was a lot of blood - warning: if you're squeamish, there are gory pictures ahead.  Whatever happened apparently occurred right at bring-in time and in the immediate vicinity of the gate.  The blood outside the gate probably happened when she hung her head over the fence.  Here's what I found:







Dawn seems to always find new and creative ways to injure herself or get into trouble!

Now for some happier horse photos - everyone was snuggled up in their winter blankets and eating from the round bales - our highs today are only supposed to make it up into the teens F with wind chills in the single digits.  This morning the wind chills were slightly below zero.

Here's Fritz being curious (he's wearing a Dover turnout blanket):


Here's Scout in his Turtleneck, with Pie behind:


Here's Pie in his medium-weight Brookside turnout blanket:


Sugar is wearing Blackjack's old heavy turnout blanket - I'm not sure of the brand - but it fits her very well:


Dawn, being the princess that she is, had two turnout blankets in addition to her rain sheet - one is a medium-weight Brookside like Pie's and here she is in her heavy-weight Rambo with insulated neck - she looks toasty-warm to me:


Dawn says: "Who, me? What did I do?":



I'll update once the vet has visited.

18 comments:

  1. Good grief. Poor Dawn! I have seen a horse after having a tooth pulled, and I was amazed at how much bleeding there was. Hope she feels better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness what a scene!! I'm very curious as to what the vet and yourself decide exactly what she did. Hope she feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - sending good healing thoughts for Ms. Dawn - hope it is minor and soon over and done with!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow! Best of luck with Dawn, I'll keep her in my prayers. I'm extremely curious as to what's going on as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be really curious to find out what she did. Good grief! They always find out ways of hurting themselves someway, don't they?

    I certainly hope it's something not too serious and easily remedied.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness that's a lot of blood! Glad she doesn't seem distressed. Curious to see what it's all about.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Poor Dawn, hope she heals quickly. I hate finding blood and not knowing the exact cause. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's really good she is eating. That looks a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm very curious about what happened in her mouth. Keep us posted with an update after the vet comes...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope Dawn gets better, she must feel crappy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad to hear that the bleeding didn't re-start. There's a person on the Chronicle Forums with a funny signature that goes along the lines of "Horses are creatures planning the most expensive and most inopportune way to die and every day they do not execute their plan is another day to refine said plan."

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope it isn't anything serious, but I'm curious to find out exactly what happened. I hope she feels better soon!

    Those pictures, WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dawn and Indigo must be related. That mare hurts herself on everything. Hopefully the vet visit goes alright.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll be checking back for the updates.

    Sometimes fairly insignificant injuries do bleed a lot. Hopefully this is one of those cases.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hope the vet can determine what is wrong. She looks good at the round bale! Berlin wears that same blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My mare Bonnie has the same Rambo blanket but in a medium weight.

    When I was looking at those pictures I realized I had my hand over my mouth and was rubbing it - guess I was having sympathy pain for Dawn! OUCH!! is my thought looking at those pictures. I wonder what the heck she did and what prompted it. OUCH again.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Glad she looks so much better today and is eating, good luck with the vet visit.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.