Friday, January 14, 2011

Eleven Piles and All is Well

As some of you may have noticed, I'm obsessed with horse poo.  Pie is very regular in his habits - almost every day there are exactly 11 piles to clean up in his paddock - sometimes 10 but almost always 11.  This morning there were 12, but one was "buried treasure" left over from before our last significant snow.  Cleaning the paddock right now is very easy, with the frozen ground and frozen poo, and I'm always glad to see those 11 piles as they show that all is well from a digestive system point of view.  We'll see how much I enjoy it when it's muddy or raining!  And once Drifter's up there too, there may be more like 22 piles of poo - that'll be a bit more work but I need the exercise.

I had forgotten how much bigger - more robust - Drifter is than Pie.  Pie wears a 75" blanket, although I think he'll need to move up to a 78" by next year - the 75" is starting to be a little snug as he gains weight and fills out.  I have a number of 78" blankets and sheets in reserve, so that'll work out well.  But I asked Drifter's owner his size and she replied that he is an 81"!  He's coming with a new heavier turnout blanket, so I'll have to get him a rain sheet. He's almost exactly the same height as Pie - 15.2 - but he's broader.  Of course this also means that it's not all that likely that the saddle I get for one will fit the other.  And of course there's Dawn's saddle fitting difficulties - she's a completely different size and shape from either one of them . . .  I expect my saddle budget's going to have to expand!

* * * * * *
Pie and I had a very nice about 45 minute trail ride with Charisma this afternoon.  The temperature was about 24F but there was no wind (but sadly no sun either).  Pie was a bit more relaxed today than he was yesterday - he actually was dozing while I tacked him up.  We did some standing around work while waiting for Charisma to get ready - he's got this pretty much nailed after only one previous session.  When we were back from our ride, Pie and I did a little bit of pattern work with two cones.  We started with a figure 8 at the walk, with tight turns around the cones - I just neck reined and used a little leg to help with the turns.  Then we trotted between the cones, stopped as we got to the cone, backed three steps, walked in a tight turn around the cone and repeated.  We did this with turns in both directions, and then did the same exercise but without the backing.  His backing in the sidepull as well as his backing in the halter are much improved - the bracing is pretty much gone and he's not "diving" either.  Good Pie!

23 comments:

  1. Youre "nesting" Drifter! Does this mean you are bringing him home?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Treeless Ansur...Westernaire...need I say more. *done* *G*

    Horseloverz.com is having some good sale prices on McCallister sheets. You might want to look into their offerings if you don't know about them.

    Always good to be able to keep track of your horse's "output." Around here the Boys scatter all over so it's hard to tell.

    Glad to hear Pie was so relaxed. He is definitely a "Good Pie."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your posts are in such a happy place now. It's a pleasure to read them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeh, that's the problem with getting a new horse...the cost of having to buy new tack and supplies isn't added into the original purchase price :\

    I can't keep a tally of the poop piles in Apache's paddock because she typically drops all of her poop in one corner. It's easy to clean up, but impossible to keep track of.

    ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. paint horse milo - that would be a yes - subject to a vet check!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have an 81'er and two 84'ers. And one of the 84'ers is the QH!

    The pony grew from 56 at age 4 to 63 at age 10.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like all is well at your place, Pie is so well behaved, and enough poo everyday ;), and a new Drifter to work on this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Is Dawn yours now, or did you just decide to get her a saddle regardless? You also made a comment in another blog post that made me wonder if Dawn staying with you was turning out to be longer term than you thought, after all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have always counted the piles of our two horses in our back lot. I think it's the quickest way to spot if something is wrong.

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm the same about counting the piles! Thanks for reassuring me about the orange pee in the snow. I've never seen it in the 7 years that the horses have lived in these snowy winters. How exciting about Drifter- he sounds like a perfect pal for Pie - I'll bet they'll become best friends.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I feel your saddle pain Kate.... I really really do.

    How do you get such neat "eliminators" ?? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. When G was in a paddock by himself I used to count his piles too! Lol, I thought I was the only one. I mean in the stall overnight is one thing, but when picking a paddock?!? But it always gave me peace of mind knowing his system was working the way it is supposed to.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Katharine - Dawn will always be my daughter's "soul" horse, but now that my daughter is at college and probably working in NYC or traveling in the summers, Dawn for all practical purposes is mine on a day-to-day basis, and I'll be working with her again come spring - she's a little too feisty to ride right now with no arena to work in.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Kate, that explains it. I thought Dawn was with you on a more temporary basis... I didn't realize it was an *extended* temporary basis. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's amazing to me that my QH Dusty is only 15-2 and takes the same size blanket that my 17-2 warmblood did!

    It's so exciting that you're getting ready for a new horse in the spring. Hope the vet check works out for you and Drifter. As for saddles I've got the same problem with Blue and Dusty who are both broad and wither challenged. I just had Dusty traced for a new saddle (it will fit Blue too). Check out the Black Country Saddles from England, you might find something there.

    Good Pie!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kate - my mom and I are enjoying your poo pile counts since we go through the same thing. We can't figure out how cleaning the stall only filled 1 wheelbarrow per stall, but there are way more piles! I want to start counting!

    Glad you had a good ride today.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hear ya little 15.1 Indigo is a 79-81! I got good deals on some 1650 D sheets though thats all I have for her when the weather gets super bad.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good job Pie!

    Yay I can't wait for you to bring Drifter home. It's so exciting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. You are one ambitious woman! I wish I had your drive when it comes to riding regularly. Three horse in the spring should keep you pretty busy. Can't wait to see Drifter.

    ReplyDelete
  20. If "drop" is an issue, check out the Euro style blankets and sheets at Schneider's Saddlery (sstack.com) Value for the buck, sturdy but worth repairing if you have a "destroyer" in your herd, and well made.

    I'm a "picky pooper picker" too--I have a teenage boy who cleans for me 3x a week, but he doesn't "hunt" for hidden treasures. He picks (most ;o) of what he can see, takes out the wet (which is very important), but he can't seem to "get" that it is also important to sift through the bedding around the edges of the stall to fluff it up, move it back to the middle, AND find what's "under there" without taking out too much good bedding. It must be a "guy" thing, this business of not understanding proper "horsekeeping" ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Just stopping by, glad to hear that Drifter will be coming home - matching sorrels! I hope they are good companions for one another.

    ReplyDelete
  22. An 81"? Wow, that's a big boy! Guess he's a bit longer and more bulky than Pie. I can't wait to "meet" Drifter!

    By the way, you have an award waiting at my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting - we appreciate it. No spam or marketing comments will be published.